Getting Started

Help
Anonymous
2011-05-04
2013-04-25
1 2 3 .. 5 > >> (Page 1 of 5)
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-05-04

Is there some information on how to get the server up and basic starting instructions? I mean i am sure i could plow through it and try to figure it out but was hoping there was a quick start guide or something.

• Ryan Pavely

Ryan Pavely - 2011-05-04

A initial setup, and server startup procedure is being crafted as we speak.  In the meantime you can contact me via AIM (nacparadox) MSN (paradox@nac.net) YHO (SirParadox2001) if you've got the DB installed, configured, downloaded and are able to test-compile/debug-run each server and I can help you blast through the startup.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-05-04

kewl thanks! I am having some Build errors I guess I need to solve first then. Using VS Express 10.

• Ryan Pavely

Ryan Pavely - 2011-05-04

It might be from the paths.  The client gets unhappy if your visual studio directories are not "c:\program files" and this may be true for the servers, but as you are not bound to SourceSafe you can easily adjust the project files as needed.

All of the projects are built on Visual Studio 2005, but should have no errors on 2008/2010. 

Post your build errors and we can surly assist.  I'm excited to see the first person get a server up and going, even if privately.

• Ryan Pavely

Ryan Pavely - 2011-05-04

Also your profile name is non-descript.  What was your game handle?  Or are you an outside spectator :)

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-04

I've got the following up and running in 2008 vb express.
    Primary, Region, Operator, Interface Builder, Client,

I've got all the tools compiled except Client Config

thought about using my 2010 express, but I only have c# and web dev studios

I'm going to change the Box operator to run as a program instead of a service (express can't do services)

Getting pretty close, just working out some of the comms between the programs.

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-04

oh one thing I did (since the conversion process didn't work) I created a windows application with the name of the program to convert, deleted the form it created, closed the project (make sure it created the folder structure the way it expects it), then added the forms, classes, subforms of other forms/classes, then reopened the project and added the folder structure to the project, then added the existing forms/classes to the folder they were in (all that from the studio interface). took a bit longer, but I also was able to go into whatever file it is that referenced the direct x stuff and made sure I used the same direct x dll files.

• Ryan Pavely

Ryan Pavely - 2011-05-04

> Primary, Region, Operator, Interface Builder, Client,
    As for servers sounds like you have them all except for PF and Email. 

Interface Builder:  This is a nifty tool but VERY old.  Most UI's created post 2009'ish were hand coded.  There were many global replacements of how we did things that didn't get written to the IB.  However it might be a good tool as a quick reference.

> I've got all the tools compiled except Client Config
    Client Config.  I'll DL it and give it a shot.  I never had any reason to muck with it.

> thought about using my 2010 express, but I only have c# and web dev studios
    C#?  How are you running BP which is VB.net with just c#?

> I'm going to change the Box operator to run as a program instead of a service (express can't do services)

Box Operator should run fine as an app.  Unless you want to just compile it, and then register it as a service.  VB.NET has no built in SVC Control like vb6 (ntsvc.ocx) had. 

> Getting pretty close, just working out some of the comms between the programs.
    Can you look over my server initial config - startup guide and help me point out any mistakes.  It's a far cry between looking at a working server farm and writing docs, then it is to get one up from scratch, so I assume you'll have some good feedback. 

<Other Notes>
    Packager expects you to run the EXE from the directory containing the PAK files.  I have my own custom version which actually lets you select a directory, etc.  I'll post the changes this weekend.

<Updater, UpdaterClient, UpdaterV, UpdateServer>
    That's all Mr. Enoch.  I never touched em, no clue how they work, so if you can get them to compile and actually use them please post docs!

<Mesh Formatter, Bump Test>
    I believe these were Enoch sandbox apps for making things prettier.

<ServerMon>  (optional server)
    This runs once per server instance, and connects to a single local asset.  Each server app needs its own Mon.  It sends a keepalive packet.  If packets are missed it begins to spam cell phones.  An update was written but never applied to Source Safe that actually tracks outages in a stateful manner, allowing for 'All Clear' messages to be sent.  No gaurentee but I'll try and post that someday.  Otherwise it still serves as a good primary - region - operator monitor.

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-04

PathFinder???

got a lot of errors: can't find the definitions for:
    ChangeEnvironmentType in GlobalVars.vb
    Base_GUID in Geography.vb & Mover.vb, probably others

I doubled check the files I got to make sure I didn't miss any (happened a few times before), any ideas or help?

8 )

• Ryan Pavely

Ryan Pavely - 2011-05-04

Those refreences all come from EpicaShared.VB.  This file was origionally the same across all servers but later split into localized copies, but kept in sync manually.  I checked, in case Enoch forgot to post it for one of the apps, but it's there.

Common\EpicaShared.vb

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-05

>> thought about using my 2010 express, but I only have c# and web dev studios

>C#? How are you running BP which is VB.net with just c#?

I'm using 2008 vb express, I thought… about using 2010, but I haven't downloaded it and kinda don't want to.  the more I've been using c# the happier I am with it

>> I'm going to change the Box operator to run as a program instead of a service (express can't do services) Box Operator should run fine as an app.
    >Unless you want to just compile it, and then register it as a service. VB.NET has no built in SVC Control like vb6 (ntsvc.ocx) had.

Yes I actually use the vb6 service control quite often for work, (my day job is programming still mostly in vb6, we're slowly moving into the .net world, and most of that is in c#

I could just take the source I have in 2008 and make a service on it since it's the pro version of .net

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-05

Those refreences all come from EpicaShared.VB. This file was origionally the same across all servers but later split into localized copies, but kept in sync manually. I checked, in case Enoch forgot to post it for one of the apps, but it's there. Common\EpicaShared.vb

OK, I know where to get a copy of it.

8 )

• Ryan Pavely

Ryan Pavely - 2011-05-05

I'd love to pick your brain about Services on .NET.  I want to replicate the command line abilities of say -install, then 'mycontrol.install' etc… but last time I went over all the .NET service stuff it seemed like the dark ages compared to ye old tried and trusted (across 30 services at my day job) NtSvc.ocx, not to be accidently confused with NtSvc.Ocx, the crappy evil twin.

2010 rules for large applications.  It loads so much faster.  Handles things faster.  Is a smoother UI.  Besides that.. 2005/2008 are still great.

C# - VB.NET debate.. well.. we can talk another time about how c# was supposed to be a mid-cycle release between C++ and VB to slowly transition all C++ coders from C++ -> C# -> VB.net… however C# took on a life of it's on and quite possibly will totally replace VB.NET

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-05

well, to me there's no debating any language, they all have their place, C# is a nice way to go to java, go from java to C#, then onto something else if even need to.

there's still a few things with .net I stumble around and it's all related to the dam spool a new thread and "you can't use that variable cause it's in a different thread"  especially with the tcp remoting. haven't had a need to do .net services (done a ton of vb 6 services). I would stay away from command line parameters and either stick with your ini file class you guys have or go to a xml format for settings. I can see what I can put together to post an xml class we use to read string information from a xml 3.0 (old rev of xml) document. It's what we use at work, it works basically the same as your ini file class, only it is read only, no updating. what we use (a coworker put it together several years ago for vb 6, but it ported to .net nicely) is very basic, and no where near as complicated as some xml reader code that is on the internet these days.

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-05

common\epicashared.vb did the trick

thanks  8 )

I'll definitely be updating/confirming that server startup doc

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-05

ok, what is this connecting to or can I bypass it?

Try
                Dim sConnStr As String = "DSN=WebDB"
                m_goWebCN = New Odbc.OdbcConnection(sConnStr)
                m_goWebCN.Open()

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-05

it's in operator app, globalvars.vb

CheckTransactions

sSQL = "SELECT * FROM OperatorTransID"
                oComm = New Odbc.OdbcCommand(sSQL, goWebCN)

• Blah

Blah - 2011-05-05

never mind, I have to set gb_IS_TEST_SERVER = true

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-05-05

sorry for delay in replying I am building a web based game myself and this is a side project to see what it is all about. To be honest I have never even played the game. I seen it went open source and started reading about the game. Sounded great so I thought I would see what I could so . I am a web game developer moreover. Hallsofvallhalla is what I am known on about a million different forums and You tube where I teach web development tutorials and have released a few games open source myself.  I keep forgetting to log into my source forge account.
    I barely got to dig into it, got a

Error 1 The command ""C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bin\mt.exe" -manifest "BPClient.exe.manifest" -outputresource:"BPClient.exe";#1" exited with code 3. BPClient

as soon as i tried to build the client so I thought I would tackle the server first.

• hallsofvallhalla

k finally logged in :)

• hallsofvallhalla

ah the problem with the client is i am running 64 bit and the MS locations are program files(86)

• Ryan Pavely

Ryan Pavely - 2011-05-05

Goto the Project Properties, Compile, Build Events.  Alter the path to point to your MT.EXE

• hallsofvallhalla

man I wasted 30 minutes looking for build events only to realize they took it out of express. Installing ultimate now. Bah! :)

• Ryan Pavely

Ryan Pavely - 2011-05-06

Logic dictates if you press F5 and see some hard set path, then you must be able to change this, irreguardless of visual studio version.  I found it inside bpclient.vbproj.  <PostBuildEvent>  Set that to your proper path and you're off.

Installing pirated VS, tisk tisk :(

1 2 3 .. 5 > >> (Page 1 of 5)