is beaver always maintain???

Help
elekis
2008-03-27
2012-12-18
  • elekis

elekis - 2008-03-27

hi all,

I would like to know if beaver is always maintain??
    and if yes, how to work simple example.

in
    C:\beaver\beaver-0.9.6.1\examples\expr\eval
    ager java -jar beaver ...
    I try to compile with javac but he doesn't found the class ExpressionScanner

any adea??

thanks

a+++

• Vincent LEGENDRE

Hi,

You need to use JFlex (to be downloaded separatly) to compile the Scanner.

• Alexander Demenchuk

To build the expr/eval example, as well as all other examples, you need to use ant:
      - cd to the examples\expr\eval
      - run: ant make
      The latter is a shortcut for 3 other tasks - building jflex scanner (yes, you need JFlex for this - check build.properties to configure its location), building beaver parser and compiling everything.

Obviously you should be able to run all 3 tasks manually, but note again that the compilation is the last step. You do need to generate scanner and parser first.

PS: No, Beaver v0.9 is not actively maintained. I'm currently working on v1.0 (well, that would be several years already ;-) Which
      - adds own scanner (re2c inspired),
      - provides separation between grammars and actions (no more java code in grammars)
      - generates AST
      - engineered to also target other (besides Java) languages
      - extensively JUnit tested

v1.0 sources are in SVN, but while one should be able to generate both scanners and parsers (with or without AST) even today, there is no convenient way to work with it yet. Some features are also not yet quite complete.