Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Please help out a n00b who has Vista

Help
2007-12-27
2013-01-11
  • VikingBoyBilly
    VikingBoyBilly
    2007-12-27

Okay, here's the deal.  I've never used a mac emulator before.  I got this Basilisk II JIT thingy, put a quadra rom and a 7.5.5 starter disk inside.  The .sys file is in the right place, I got the GDK files working.  It seems like I should be all set, right?  But in the BasiliskIIGUI program, I set it to open the Quadra rom and access the starter kit as the volume, but when I start it, I get one of two things:  A black window, that does nothing and will not close, and I have to open the task manager to end the progam (ending the program is accompanied by a Beep sound).  Or, a gray window, and a message that says something along the lines of "BasiliskII has stopped working unexpectedly.  closing the program."  And it closes.

It makes no difference whether I load a volume or not.  I even tried right-clicking basiliskII, going to preferences, opening compatibility, and set "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)."

So I'm stumped to figure out what I need to do to get things started.  Is Sheepshaver better?  I can't seem to find a place to download that one, though =/

• VikingBoyBilly
      VikingBoyBilly
      2008-01-02

I fixed my problem by myself.  Thanks alot for all your help =/

• Ok, this just annoys me. You ask a question during the time of year when most people are spending time with their families, relaxing, or just plain drinking their faces off. When you don't get a response (which is not surprising considering the time frame), but have resolved the problem yourself, you post a snide comment instead of describing what you did so that it might benefit others. Maybe no one knew the answer to your question. Maybe they were just too busy enjoying their holidays to respond at the time. Regardless, your remark was not productive to anyone.

I post this not to start a flame war on a forum of a great open source project, but because I too have the same problem you ran into, and because I hope you might learn from it and participate in a more positive way next time.

So, if it's not too much to ask, could you describe how you resolved your problem, so that I may as well? You certainly are under no obligation to do so (hey, just like everyone else here), but it would be beneficial to myself and others if you could. You will have my gratitude.

Finally, in answer to your question about SheepShaver, I could respond with your attitude and point you to http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/, but instead, I've contributed 10 seconds of my own time to search for "sheepshaver windows" using Google, and immediately found this page where you can download SheepShaver for Windows and find installation instructions: http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/installation. The official SheepShaver homepage is http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/. SheepShaver emulates a PowerPC and runs Mac OS 9, so it is not better or worse than Basilisk II, it is an emulator for an entirely different system. This may or may not be what you are looking for, depending on whether you want to run 68k software (Basilisk II) or PowerPC software (SheepShaver).