Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

sound issues with older Mac games

Help
Maxor
2006-03-19
2013-01-11
  • Maxor
    Maxor
    2006-03-19

I installed Basilisk hoping I could play my old Mac games that I had problems with ever since PPC came out.  I thought since it emulates 68K Macs, everything should be fine.  Well, when I run older games like Curse of Azure Bonds and other SSI Gold Box games or games like Space Quest III, I get no sound from the game, only alert sounds from the system.  It's just like the PPC problem I had.  I tested Legend of Kyrandia since I knew that still worked in PPC and its sound worked fine just as I thought.

How can I get sound working for these games?  I spent 5 hours testing different rom files and trying to install pre-System 7.5 systems but nothing helped and I couldn't even get 7.0 installed.  I managed to get 7.1 installed somehow after lots of messages saying it was too old for my system (I was using 68030 LC II rom), but it didn't help either.

I was using the older Basilisk II WinNT release in XP.  I tried Basilisk JIT but all I get is a black screen when I start that up.

Can anyone help?  This is going to bother me now until I get it working.

• pkokic
      pkokic
      2006-03-22

Some time ago I had the same problem with Hellcats over the Pacific. The only way I could get around it was by using a different emulator, specifically Fusion PC 3.0. However this only works on Windows 98 and earlier.

• Maxor
      Maxor
      2006-03-22

What about Softmac?  I downloaded that but can't get it working.  I get a disk question mark when I try to use my System 7.5.5 boot disk (.dsk) that works fine in Basilisk.

• pkokic
      pkokic
      2006-03-22

Forget Softmac. It's riddled with bugs and apparently the sound doesn't work either. Besides the sound issue with Basilisk II, both it and Fusion PC are streets ahead.

• Maxor
      Maxor
      2006-03-24

Does Fusion work in XP?  From what I read, it sounded like it didn't.  And when I tried downloading it, it asked for a login/password.  This was on emulators.com or something like that.

• pkokic
      pkokic
      2006-03-25

This discussion is starting to move off topic, so it may be better to direct your questions to the appropriate forum: http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=7

However, from what I've heard it may not be possible to run Fusion in Windows XP. You could always set up a separate partion on your hard disk with Windows 98 or earlier installed on it.

• Maxor
      Maxor
      2006-03-26

Too much work for one game.  Thanks anyways.  I guess I have to wait for Basilisk to support older sound in games.  Anyone know what the technical difference is between sound found in older games?  I'm guessing the sound that isn't working is from games that supported System 6.0.8 and up if I remember correctly.  Although, it should work fine on any 68K Mac with System 7.x too with real hardware.  Any idea if this will be addressed in a future update of Basilisk II?  I think it should be #1 priority.  I'm not even sure what the status of Basilisk is anymore.  The official page hasn't been updated in 5 years and I see JIT version now, so is that the new Basilisk II that all future versions will be based on?  I can't get 1.0 of JIT to work for some reason.  Black screen at startup.  Looks like lots of people are having that problem.  Earlier versions seem to start up at least, though.

• Aaron Outhier
      Aaron Outhier
      2006-11-22

If you're looking for an emulator for older Mac hardware (specifically m68k CPU), try minivmac or Mac-on-a-Stick:
      http://nothickmanuals.info/doku.php?id=minivmac

Mac-on-a-Stick should work on all Windows platforms except Windows 95. It's neat, since it can run off of a Flash Drive or USB Hard Drive!