Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

New to Windows BandwidthD

Help
2011-07-01
2013-04-24
  • Dustin Gardner
    Dustin Gardner
    2011-07-01

I'm having a little bit of trouble getting bandwidthD to start.
    I've read the README file just to make sure I've done everything correctly, ran the config file, edited it to my specs, then installed the service, then opened the program. Problem is, is that it hangs at the black command prompt, and nothing. For the past 20 minutes I've tried redoing my numbers, just to make sure it wasn't an operator mistake, but no matter the numbers, it hangs.

Is there any way I can get it to, well, not hang?

• Alestan
    Alestan
    2011-08-12

Are you passing a -D to it at execution time?  If so it will not fork to the background but instead block on the prompt.  The default compile of bandwidthd produces no output to stdout; so it can appear like it's hanged.  How do you have it configured to output the data?  The best way to tell if it is running is to check for output, either the graph files or stuff going into the specified pgsql database.  Remember if you have the binary build from some repositories, it will be ~200 seconds before any data is output.  If it really isn't working, check /var/log/syslog, any error messages should appear there.  If there are no error messages, try running it in gdb or some similar debugger via 'sudo gdb -args bandwidthd -D'.  (type r to start the program, let it run for 5-10 minutes to ensure it should have some data, type ctrl+c to abort the program, then type bt to display the backtrace.)  If you get a backtrace from it and post it, we may be able to help figure out where and why it is hanging.

• Alestan
    Alestan
    2011-08-12

Oops, I just realised you're probably running windows, ouch.  What I said still applies, but you'll need to look for where it sends its error messages 'cause it won't be /var/log/syslog.  Also, I don't have any idea what debugger to suggest you use as gdb isn't available for windows to my knowledge.