Help
Jennifer
2010-10-20
2014-03-14
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer
    2010-10-20

Hi,

I'm using ubuntu, and try compile bandwidthd.
    I've already got bandwidthd to work from binarys, but want to make some little changes to the source.  This looks easy - once i have got it to build from source.

After the pain of getting ./configure to pass,  I moved onto make.

Firstly i get: 

$ make
    make: *** No rule to make target `sqlight.o', needed by `bandwidthd'.  Stop.

I tried removing sqlight.o from the makefile, and where its used, as i don't think i need it.  And I don't know where I'm meant to get this file from.

$ make
    gcc -Wall -g -O2  -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H bandwidthd.o graph.o conf.tab.o conf.l.o pgsql.o extensions.o -o bandwidthd -L/usr/local/lib -lsqlite3 -lpcap -lgd -lpng -lm -lresolv -lnsl
    bandwidthd.o: In function `main':
    /home/jenny/bandwidthd/bandwidthd/bandwidthd/bandwidthd.c:366: undefined reference to `bdconfig_in'
    conf.tab.o: In function `bdconfig_parse':
    /home/jenny/bandwidthd/bandwidthd/bandwidthd/y.tab.c:1377: undefined reference to `bdconfig_lex'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: ***  Error 1

I don't understand the bdconfig mechanism, and so can't work out how to fix this.

Can someone suggest what it is I've missed?

Cheers!

-jenny

• issue can be fixed by installing flex, the make error should have given understanding error message

• David Given
    David Given
    2010-10-20

I find that if something's being a pain to build, and there's a Debian package, I can use the Debian build mechanism to produce a package that's configured and buildable very easily:

cd /tmp
    sudo apt-get build-dep bandwidthd
    sudo apt-get install devscripts
    apt-get source bandwidthd
    cd bandwidthd-*
    debuild

That will download the source, extract it, patch it so it works, configure it, and then build it. It'll then probably grind to a halt complaining about gpg keys but by that point you have a version of the source that will build with a simple 'make' in the right directory.

Note that debuild will attempt to build bandwidthd several times with different configurations, so you may need to reconfigure it with the settings you want and then do make clean && make.

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but it might be easier than trying to make the original source build.

• Jennifer
    Jennifer
    2010-10-20

Hi,

I tried that, and it works great!
    Thank you!

-jenny