BackupPC 4.0.0alpha2 has a couple of new features and some bug fixes:
- support for an SCGI interface (which allows Apache to run as any user, with requests handled by BackupPC_Admin_SCGI, which is run by the BackupPC server).
- parallelizing BackupPC_refCountUpdate, which is run each night by BackupPC_nightly.
If you are using alpha0 or alpha1, I recommend you upgrade.
Each of the three packages in the release has been updated. You should upgrade all three packages:
- BackupPC-4.0.0alpha2.tar.gz: the usual BackupPC release tar ball.
- BackupPC-XS-0.20.tar.gz: a perl XS module with C code that replaces several BackupPC perl libraries for improved performance.
- rsync-bpc-188.8.131.52.tar.gz: a modified rsync that runs on the server that has a shim layer that interfaces directly to the BackupPC file system.
I've attached some short notes on the build/install steps for each package.
This release is getting close to beta0. The only missing feature is FTP xfer support.
I'd be interested in feedback.
tar zxvf BackupPC-XS-0.20.tar.gz
tar zxvf rsync-bpc-184.108.40.206.tar.gz
tar zxvf BackupPC-4.0.0alpha2.tar.gz
The last step for each will need to be run as a privileged user.
If you want to install rsync_bpc in /usr/local/bin (default might be /usr/bin), then you should add the --prefix option to configure.sh: