ScaneRSS stops updating a feed after it fails

Beta
natrap
2007-02-20
2013-01-31
  • natrap
    natrap
    2007-02-20

    I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem.

    I believe since ScaneRSS_AZ_0.9.5.1.20070202.jar if a feed update fails it doesn't get updated again until I manually update the feed. It's occured after
    Update failed for Feed: NAME [Connection timed out: connect]
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
        at lbms.plugins.scanerss.main.RSSFeed.read(RSSFeed.java:447)
        at lbms.plugins.scanerss.main.RSSFeedManager$3.run(RSSFeedManager.java:153)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    as well as

    Update failed for Feed: NAME [Read timed out]
    java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$6.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getChainedException(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
        at lbms.plugins.scanerss.main.RSSFeed.read(RSSFeed.java:458)
        at lbms.plugins.scanerss.main.RSSFeedManager$3.run(RSSFeedManager.java:153)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getHeaderField(Unknown Source)
        at lbms.plugins.scanerss.main.RSSFeed.read(RSSFeed.java:457)
        ... 2 more

    I have 3 active feeds. After one of them fails the log then shows the other two continue to get updated every 15 minutes. After a second fails only the third remaining continues to be updated every 15 minutes. I haven't ever noticed all 3 having failed before I update the failed ones. Once I see that a feed has stopped updating (and confirm that it failed by looking at the Log) I manually update the feed and then the automatic updating of that feed resumes.

    I never noticed the problem with ScaneRSS_AZ_0.9.5.1.20061103.jar. I think it started with ScaneRSS_AZ_0.9.5.1.20070202.jar and was there in 20070203 and is there in 20070208 which is what I am currently using. Another possibility I suppose (assuming this could be caused by something other than the ScaneRSS code) is that updating to Azureus 2.5.0.4 caused this because it came out around about the same time as the 20070202 beta of ScaneRSS (close enough anyway that I can't be absolutely sure after which update the problem started). I could revert back to the 20061103 beta to rule out Azureus 2.5.0.4 being the cause.

    On the off chance that this was an intentional change then I must say it's not a good one. I can understand not trying to update immediately after a failed update continually until it succeeds because that would just hammer the feed server, but it should certainly try to update at the next update interval.

    Natrap.

     
    • This may be caused by the anti-hammer code, for feed update fail.
      I've reviewed the code somte time ago but I couldn't find the error.
      I guess I'll have to look into it again.

       
      • just_a_guy
        just_a_guy
        2007-03-29

        i have the same problem.
        this comes in a problem when connection loss for a couple of minutes , while in the mean time the feeds are updates and fails.
        after connection restore , you'll need to restart azureus to start autodownload of the feeds again.

         
    • Paczesiowa
      Paczesiowa
      2007-03-29

      I think I got the same problem. It's working after startup (azureus spits out rss-xml files to stdout) and then after few hours it stops. can't tell if it fails at sometime cause there is just to much info in azureus console (every azsmrc packet)