Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Log File Format Problems

dj4uk
2004-10-14
2012-10-11
  • dj4uk
    dj4uk
    2004-10-14

I have log files in an IIS (W3C extended) format. However all the available properties are enabled so that when the Log Files are used by AWStats it states the Log File Format does not match. Can anyone suggest the custom format string needed for my needs?

Any help would be appreciated.

DJ

• In general:

1)
      There is a very good helpfile that shows all available logfile and logformat options. It's located at: http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/awstats_config.html#LogFormat
      Usually it's quite easy to get one's logformat customized.

2)
      If you are stuck with the above mentioned help file (which is okay, because there is no use in crying over spilt milk), then you can -of course- post a question, but I'd ask everybody to please post

a) the webserver logfile setup (e.g. for apache: "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"")
      b) a single line from your logfile

With this information given, the people in this forum can best help you.

Best regards,

tfranzke

• dj4uk
      dj4uk
      2004-10-14

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah it would make sense to actually give you an example - whoops!

I've already tried to create a custom log file format string from the documentation but it was unsuccessful.

Example log file line:
      2004-10-13 00:22:13 81.156.93.136 - W3SVC4 NTFM622 62.189.99.167 GET /html/homepage.asp - 200 0 16562 303 281 80 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1) - http://www.bargain-bucket.com/directory.php?cat=homelife&sub=moving-storage

The fields in IIS that are captured are:
      Date
      Time
      Client IP Address
      User Name
      Service Name
      Server Name
      Server IP
      Server Port
      Method
      URI Stem
      URI Query
      Http Status
      Win32 Status
      Bytes Sent
      Bytes Received
      Time Taken
      Protocol Version
      User Agent
      Cookie
      Referrer

Any help would be great.

DJ

• Hi DJ,

it's not been against you, but you can imagine just how often I read questions similar to yours w/o any information given. Therefore I thought that it might be the time to bring this topic up again ;-)

Give it a try with this one:

2004-10-13 00:22:13 81.156.93.136 - W3SVC4 NTFM622 62.189.99.167 GET /html/homepage.asp - 200 0 16562 303 281 80 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1) - http://www.bargain-bucket.com/directory.php?cat=homelife&sub=moving-storage

LogFormat="%time2 %host %logname %other %other %other %method %url %other %code %other %bytesd %other %other %other %other %ua %other %referer"

Best regards,

tfranzke

• dj4uk
      dj4uk
      2004-10-15

Thanks again for your help - works fine.

Only thing is when I "update" it only take the latest logfile (today) - is there any way of getting it to process all past logfile as well?

Thanks again.

DJ