Menu

tar.gz log file archives

2004-09-06
2012-10-11
  • Justin M. Clark

Justin M. Clark - 2004-09-06

My hosting company archives its log files into tar.gz files.  For instance, todays log file is named 2004-09-06.tar.gz

Can someone give me an idea of what I need to do inorder for awstats to extract and read this file?

• Thorsten Franzke

This is an hard to question to answer without any more details (system setup, automatic or manual start of awstats, etc.).
      In general one might say .tar.gz is a file format from the Linux world. The files is tar-compressed (similar to a zip-compressed file) in order to save disk space on your hosters drive. Assuming that you are using windows you could get winzip or winrar to have the files uncompressed.
      Besides, if I am not totally wrong awstats has built-in .tar.gz support, but to use this you will need to run awstats on a Linux system.

• Justin M. Clark

Justin M. Clark - 2004-09-07

yes, the hosting company us running freebsd, I will be manually updating awstats from the web.  I tried using the gzip <log | command but all it will do is fail, I think awstats supports gzipped files, but not gzipped tar files.  My hosting company said "download the files" but then i have to extract them, upload the file and then update awstats.  thats just too many steps.  Any ideas?

• Nobody/Anonymous

for a single file you can use this:

tar -zxOf log.tar.gz |

I am looking for a solution to use multiple files...