Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Locally analyzing awstats data files

Jaggy
2014-05-14
2014-05-15
  • Jaggy
    Jaggy
    2014-05-14

I hope someone can help me. My company is using awstats as a its log interpreter for the company's website and its subdomains. I do not have access to the website logs for the subdomain that belongs to my department and the IT department won't give me access to those logs. They tell me that they are providing me with a setup by awstats that I can access and read and that should be enough. They won't add any filters for me. My problem is that I need to filter my URL details in awstats in order to do the monthly statistics for the different offices my department (each office has its own directory within in the subdomain; I need to filter how often pages in the different offices have been loaded - without the filter I can just read the total for the complete subdomain and thus all offices combined). I read about adding filters and apparently I can only do that by running a perl script. I cannot run perl scripts on the subdomain as I do not access to the actual awstats.pl script (it is hosted outside the subdomain that I have access to, as is the awstats.conf file). All I have access to are the already compiled html pages plus the awstats data files in txt format. I gather those are cleaned up log files? If that is a the case, is there a way that I can download these files to my local computer and analyze them with a local installation of awstats that would allow me to add a filter to urldetails? Or is there a way to bypass running the perl script and just manually create another html file each month with those data files?

• Jean-Luc
    Jean-Luc
    2014-05-14

Hi Jaggy,

Not sure that I understand what you mean. If you just get one set of AWStats data files and if you don't get separate data files per subdomain, you will not get separate stats per subdomain. With filters, you may be able to generate reports by directory. This would require that you copy the data files to a computer that you control and that you setup Perl and your own copy of AWStats there.

I hope this helps.

Jean-Luc

Last edit: Jean-Luc 2014-05-14
    • Jaggy
      Jaggy
      2014-05-15

Hi Jean-Luc,

we have separate logs for the subdomains. I just need to filter the log for our subdomain by directory as well (the IT department won't install that filter for me).

I installed awstats on our local server here. Creating dummy databases from the local server logs worked fine. However, it won't build me reports afterwards. I have to tinker with it a little as creating the databases (txt files) worked great. So basically what I would do is replace the local database/txt files with the ones from our subdomain and then build reports from those, right? Sounds pretty simple, if I actually ever get the reports to build.

• Jean-Luc
    Jean-Luc
    2014-05-15

So basically what I would do is replace the local database/txt files with the ones from our subdomain and then build reports from those, right?

That's correct!

Jean-Luc