Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Audio is out of Sync

grumpy
2009-04-01
2012-12-25
  • grumpy
    grumpy
    2009-04-01

AVStoDVD got me through a tight deadline project for a non-profit. Thank you so much.

I used Pinnacle Studio Plus 12 to create edited video files. I used AVStoDVD to create the DVD from the video titles. This worked very well and contributed to my making the deadline. I continue to want to use AVStoDVD for DVD authoring. I like the control it gives me over encoding and I am comfortable with the menu creating process of AVStoDVD. Menu creation is easier with the newest version.

On my new project, the Audio is out of Sync. The audio is ahead of the video enough to make the audio noticeably not lip sync.

I checked if the recent upgrade of AVStoDVD had anything to do with the problem. It didn't. Audio Sync error may just be more noticeable in the new project. The audio sync of the video files created by Pinnacle Studio 12 and it seems to be fine. The audio sync error is noticeable when I play the video files encoded under AVStoDVD on my PC and when I play an AVStoDVD created DVD in the PC or using a DVD player.

I am using NTSC system, "full DVD resolution" and going for a bit rate that provides a quality result. My system was built for video work. It does not help (effect) this if I disable my network connection and turn off anti-virus, SpySweeper and Comodo firewall. I am not using the PC for other use when a job is running. I am using the same stripe RAID drive for the video files, and AVStoDVD working directories. It is not my system disc. I use SATA 2 drives. 

This is a Windows XP professional PC. The operating system is up to date. There is plenty of disc space.

Is there an adjustment for audio delay (advance) that can be made with one of the codecs? There does not seem to be a direct adjustment for audio delay (advance) in the AVStoDVD interface. I am using ffdshow for my video and audio codecs.

With best regards.

• MrC
      MrC
      2009-04-01

Hi grumpy,

everything seems to be fine with your configuration and your approach. BTW sometimes there are some "difficult" clips that, going thru AviSynth/DirectShowSource, go out-of-synch.

You can try 2 ways.

1. Go to 'Settings'/'Encoding'/'AVS Source Filter' and select 'FFMpegSource' (it could be a little unstable, so be prepared for occasional crashes).
      2. If out-of-synch amount is equal for all the clip, you can adjust it. Go to 'Title Edit'/'AviSynth', toggle off 'Auto AviSynth Script' and play with 'Delay Audio'.

Preview output (instead of complete encode) will speed up synch validation.

Let me know

MrC

• grumpy
        grumpy
        2009-04-02

Hi, back to you, Mr. C

I won't get to work with your second suggestion for a day or two, but I think that is where the answer lies. I had not understood what the "Preview" option in the Title menu does. That will be a big time saver. Similarly, I had not understood the power that the "Edit" option in the same main menu opens up.

Not only is the sync error uniform across a Title clip, it is uniform across all the titles in the project. Is there a way to get the same sync delay for all the titles in a project without setting it for one title at a time? That would be really convenient.

Finding out that audio sync is not maintained automatically just by doing things right in assembling audio video interleaved files makes it easier to understand how an error in sync timing can arise.

I want to make a clap board (if that what they call the mechanical/visual sync tool that seems to have been invented at the time that sound was first added to movies). It is a lot easier to notice that a video does not have lip sync than it is to see the shift in audio timing that is required to correct it. Now that I know that there is an audio sync setting available, using a clap board is going to make getting the delay set correctly a lot easier.

I will let you know how this works out after I have done it. I feel it is going to work very well.

Once again, thank you,
        grumpy.

• grumpy
        grumpy
        2009-04-02

This is an update on taking the steps in the second suggestion to correct audio sync error in my project.

So far as I was able to determine, delaying the audio by 100ms works fine for all parts of all titles. It has me wondering whether there is something in the software or my hardware that caused a 100ms audio advance.

This report is based on using the Edit / Preview feature to adjust the audio delay. I am running the project now.

These steps were easy to do, but I don't think that I ever would have figured out how to do it without your help. Every time I have asked you a specific question, Mr. C, you have always given me a specific solution, step by step, within a day or so. There is so much about the AVStoDVD system that one might need to know as this or that comes up as one uses it. I am surprised that there has not been a lot more discussion on these forums. I know that that you also provide support by email. Perhaps most users reach you that wayl.

It was no problem to provide the 100ms audio delay for my 7 titles, one title at a time. As I go forward though, I expect that I am going to continue to have to provide for this 100ms audio delay. If there were a way in the GUI interfaces, perhaps via the settings, to request a specific audio delay (advance) for a project, that might be a convenience. I realize that being able to do that might require avisynth's author(s) adding a feature and that this might not happen.

Thanks,
        grumpy

• MrC
      MrC
      2009-04-03

Hi grumpy,

I am glad to hear that with 'Delay Audio' feat you fixed your issue. Unfortunately there is no way to have an overall setting for delay: you have to set it for each title.

You can try to change Pinnacle output format. Out of sych could be caused by a strange interaction between Pinnacle output and ffdshow/avisynth.

About the big number of AVStoDVD features, you are right, it is not a very self-explaining tool: there is an help section (F1) but not very "verbose". BTW you can find a lot of info at following link: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=126647
      It is an "unofficial" discussion forum about AVStoDVD.

Bye

;)

MrC

• grumpy
      grumpy
      2009-04-04

Hi, MrC

Thank you for providing the link to the ' "unofficial" discussion forum about AVStoDVD.': http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=126647
      (a thread on the forum of doom9.org--a really large thread that has been ongoing since 2007.) I am glad to know of the more extensive discussion of AVStoDVD there. I skimmed through every page of the posts there. As I found links that seemed interesting, I opened browser tabs from them. I have not viewed these yet.

Thank you for the ongoing development of AVStoDVD. Thank you for the support that you have provided to me and many.

Best regards,
      grumpy

• MrC
      MrC
      2009-04-04

You are welcome

;)

MrC