I am very proud to announce the availability of Avogadro 1.0.
Avogadro is a free, open source, cross-platform molecular editor
designed for flexible use in computational chemistry, molecular
modeling, bioinformatics, materials science, and related areas.
Packages are available for Mac OSX, Windows and Linux. The source code
source is available under the GNU GPLv2.
What does Avogadro do?
* We've tried to make the best, most intuitive "builder," including
common fragments, downloading directly from PDB or PubChem, and
* Innovative "auto-optimize" tool which allows you to continue to
build and modify, during molecular mechanics optimization.
* Interfaces to many common computational packages.
* Designed to help both educational users and advanced research.
* Plugins that allow Avogadro to be extended and customized.
* Well defined public API, library and Python bindings for development.
* Embedded Python interpreter.
* Translations available in 12+ languages.
What's New? See the Release Notes: http://avogadro.openmolecules.net/wiki/Avogadro_1.0.0
For more information: http://avogadro.openmolecules.net/wiki/
This is a community project and we couldn't have made this release
without you. Many thanks to all the contributors to Avogadro including
those of you who submitted feedback, bug reports, and code. Particular
thanks go to all the translators.
The Avogadro Project
P.S. We consider this as a milestone, but really "the end of the
beginning." We'd like to make this a real community project. Please
give us your feedback and your suggestions to make Avogadro the best
possible molecular editor.