The Avogadro project is proud to announce the availability of Avogadro 0.6.0, our third development release. As indicated in the jump in version number from 0.6, the program is rapidly reaching a stable 1.0 release series.
Avogadro is an advanced, cross-platform molecular editor designed for flexible use in computational chemistry, molecular modeling, bioinformatics, materials science, and related areas. Packages are available for Mac OSX, Windows and Linux, as well as open source provided under the GNU GPL.
This release includes numerous enhancements and fixes from previous releases
Among the major improvements:
* Support for display of molecular surfaces and orbitals from Gaussian "cube" files. More file formats will be supported in the future.
* Enhanced rendering options: dynamic display of hydrogen bonds, protein "ribbons", metal polygons, rings, etc.
* Improved tools, including automatic addition of hydrogens while building and insertion of molecule fragments.
* Significantly improved geometry optimization performance.
* Full support for MMFF94 and UFF force fields.
* New options for selecting chemical fragments, solvent molecules, etc.
* New periodic table dialog.
* Persistent window and tool settings.
* Cartesian coordinate editor.
* Properties editors for atoms, bonds...