Comparing AUSTRUMI to other distros& OpSystms

2007-06-02
2013-04-01
  • litepenguin
    litepenguin
    2007-06-02

Hi all :)
    I'm here just to say that i really fell in love with AUSTRUMI the moment i tried.

It's as light as a honeybee, as fast as a rocket and as beautiful as the sky above and oceans below.

I just wrote and posted a detailed five-paragraphs long comment about it on Distrowatch.com

You all are welcome to go on there to read it and hopefully also write something about AUSTRUMI, so as to spread the word about this truly amazing distro and have more people to use it. Here's the link to my posting on DW (comment#226) http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070528&mode=43#comments

But in order to save you time, below is the copy of my comment on DW. However, i really hope you would rather go to read it on DW, and post something about AUSTRUMI in reply. But in case you don't feel like doing so at this time, here's what i have posted on DW:

226 • AUSTRUMI is the FASTEST OS in existance (by litepenguin on 2007-06-01 22:11:09 GMT from Canada)

So far i have tested / tried at least 100 OperatingSystems, which includes most major Linux and BSD distros listed here on DW, as well as various versions of MacOS, M$ Windoaz, dozens of other OpSystems, including OS/2 (which i loved) and ReactOS (which is a truly spectacular project still in-progress) and BeOS.

And based on all my testing and experiencing of ALL those Operating Systems over the years, i can definetely say that this new and obscure Linux distro AUSTRUMI ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrumi ) is the FASTEST OS i have ever tried out. It's even much, much faster than other competing lite distros, such as Damn Small Linux and PuppyLinux. The only exceptionally faster OS (i recall being faster) than AUSTRUMI is BeOS, which, unfortunately, has been discontinued.

Well, in order to be objective i have to mention that there exists even a much lighter and faster OS called TriangleOS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TriangleOS But unfortunately it's a closed-source, which is really a pity, because it has a very beautiful and user-friendly GUI (better than almost any Linux distros), along with most desktop and server apps -- DESPITE fitting on a single floppy disk ONLY! It's really worth checking it out. I sincerely hope Wim Cools, TriangleOS solo developer eventually open-source this extremly small, light and fast, yet beautiful and user-friendly OS, loaded with great computing apps,

Apple inc. almost bought BeOS in the mid 1990ies, but it changed its mind in the last minute and instead it bought NeXTSTEP, an inferior OS, which was a real tragedy for computing technology --- because had Apple bought BeOS, MacOS X today would have been a much lighter and faster OS than it is currently. As such, MacOS X would have been an inspiring example for increasingly bloating and resource-sucking Windoaz and Linux OpSystems. The tragic story and loss of BeOS makes a fascinating reading on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS

Anyway, now in AUSTRUMI distro we are, once again, happily excited to see a truly light and fast OS since the demise of BeOS. I hope coders in the World around tinker with it, derive even better distros out of it, or develop AUSTRUMI much further, creating a truly lite and fast, yet modern and beautiful OS that competes with Mac and Windoaz, besides competing with its sister Linux distros in the struggle for the heart and soul of desktop computing.

• atang1
      atang1
      2007-06-21

Thanks for a delightful discussion of Austrumi.

However, it is a distro based originally on Blin(russian distro), And some codes and file names are in russian. It is difficult to work on it unless you are fluent in russian(latvian). Greek version was done by copying the greek files from another distro into the russian file names for Greek language. this can be done with Asian languages and all l18n languages.

The latest version 1.5.0 is quite polished, except where dialog boxes are presented, we have to guess what to fill into the dialog box to make the programs work? So, I have requested Andrejs(ini96) to suggest what should be in the dialog boxes to get the program executed?

We also need more cheat codes and multiboot lilo choices. Right now, you have to edit lilo codes to have more hdax for multiboot. GUI can have the number x chosen, then fill in the operating system name for each hda logical partition prepared. Although in livecd version, mulitboot would be wasted, hdd is not even used. But in USB cards and card reader, multiboot may be interesting for developers.

Framebuffer cheat codes can handle all the old and new video cards and monitors aka Knoppix approach with VGA fallback. VGA=791/792.

V1.6.0 will be out in December, 2007, traditionally. We have much to anticipate?