I have used Audacity quite a while ago, How do I dertemine how much recordring time is availabale on a laptop. I need to record my one hour stage show. I'm just gonna record straight from the PA head.

From: "audacity-users-request@lists.sourceforge.net" <audacity-users-request@lists.sourceforge.net>
To: audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 6:22 PM
Subject: Audacity-users Digest, Vol 74, Issue 9

Send Audacity-users mailing list submissions to
    audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    audacity-users-request@lists.sourceforge.net

You can reach the person managing the list at
    audacity-users-owner@lists.sourceforge.net

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Audacity-users digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. unable to navigate backward from end of file (Alex Hall)
  2. Re: unable to navigate backward from end of file (bob cavanaugh)
  3. Re: unable to navigate backward from end of file (Alex Hall)
  4. Re: unable to navigate backward from end of file
      (gale@audacityteam.org)
  5. Eliminate background noise WAS Re: Why some    additional files
      ? (gale@audacityteam.org)
  6. joining tracks (was unable to navigate backward    from end of
      file) (Alex Hall)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:34:01 -0500
From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@gmail.com>
Subject: [Audacity-users] unable to navigate backward from end of file
To: audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <FF9D03BF-76A0-4DCD-9A72-0FB27B8F236D@gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Hello list,
I have a podcast series stored on my computer. The podcast creators release one episode every week or three, with three episodes per chapter. As I have a lot of archived chapters, I want to combine each chapter's three episodes into one file. I am doing this by, essentially, removing the start and end and putting the three together. Now, the problem: I can press home and then space to play from the start of the file, but I cannot press end, shift-comma, space to move to a point near the end of the file. This means that when I want to try removing audio from the end of a file I have to go to the beginning and jump through the entire thing. Is there some setting or keystroke I'm missing? I am using Audacity 2.0.1 on a mac with Mountain Lion. I am also using Voiceover as I cannot see the screen, so only keyboard commands will be of use to me. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.


Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
mehgcap@gmail.com






------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 14:03:21 -0800
From: "bob cavanaugh" <bobdavcav@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] unable to navigate backward from end of
    file
To: "'Discussion list for Audacity users'"
    <audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Message-ID: <003001cdc121$934a6420$b9df2c60$@net>
Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="us-ascii"

Use shift J to move to the top and shift K to move to the bottom, then use
your arrow keys to move through the file from there.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Hall [mailto:mehgcap@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 12:34 PM
To: audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Audacity-users] unable to navigate backward from end of file

Hello list,
I have a podcast series stored on my computer. The podcast creators release
one episode every week or three, with three episodes per chapter. As I have
a lot of archived chapters, I want to combine each chapter's three episodes
into one file. I am doing this by, essentially, removing the start and end
and putting the three together. Now, the problem: I can press home and then
space to play from the start of the file, but I cannot press end,
shift-comma, space to move to a point near the end of the file. This means
that when I want to try removing audio from the end of a file I have to go
to the beginning and jump through the entire thing. Is there some setting or
keystroke I'm missing? I am using Audacity 2.0.1 on a mac with Mountain
Lion. I am also using Voiceover as I cannot see the screen, so only keyboard
commands will be of use to me. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in
advance.


Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
mehgcap@gmail.com




----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a single web
console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases, vmware, SAP,
cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial.
Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information,
so we can help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X
10.5.1) 

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help >
About
  Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer) 

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and
how is it
  connected to the computer?

Mailing list: Audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users




------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:15:27 -0500
From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] unable to navigate backward from end of
    file
To: Discussion list for Audacity users
    <audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Message-ID: <0AF427D8-6A0E-4044-8AC0-D39ABF82B877@gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Shift selects, it didn't move for me. However, your message made me think to try just j and k, and those worked perfectly. Thanks!
On Nov 12, 2012, at 5:03 PM, "bob cavanaugh" <bobdavcav@comcast.net> wrote:

> Use shift J to move to the top and shift K to move to the bottom, then use
> your arrow keys to move through the file from there.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alex Hall [mailto:mehgcap@gmail.com]
> Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 12:34 PM
> To: audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Audacity-users] unable to navigate backward from end of file
>
> Hello list,
> I have a podcast series stored on my computer. The podcast creators release
> one episode every week or three, with three episodes per chapter. As I have
> a lot of archived chapters, I want to combine each chapter's three episodes
> into one file. I am doing this by, essentially, removing the start and end
> and putting the three together. Now, the problem: I can press home and then
> space to play from the start of the file, but I cannot press end,
> shift-comma, space to move to a point near the end of the file. This means
> that when I want to try removing audio from the end of a file I have to go
> to the beginning and jump through the entire thing. Is there some setting or
> keystroke I'm missing? I am using Audacity 2.0.1 on a mac with Mountain
> Lion. I am also using Voiceover as I cannot see the screen, so only keyboard
> commands will be of use to me. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in
> advance.
>
>
> Have a great day,
> Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
> mehgcap@gmail.com
>
>
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a single web
> console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases, vmware, SAP,
> cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial.
> Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov
> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information,
> so we can help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X
> 10.5.1) 
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help >
> About
>  Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer) 
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and
> how is it
>  connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: Audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a single
> web console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases, vmware,
> SAP, cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial.
> Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov
> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1) 
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
>  Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer) 
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>  connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: Audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users



Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
mehgcap@gmail.com






------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 22:55:40 GMT
From: gale@audacityteam.org
Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] unable to navigate backward from end of
    file
To: <audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Message-ID: <20121112225539.DAB8.79ADB3FC@audacityteam.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"


On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:15:27 -0500
Alex Hall <mehgcap@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shift selects, it didn't move for me. However, your message made me think
> to try just j and k, and those worked perfectly. Thanks!

In case it helps:

J moves the cursor to the start of the track and K moves the
cursor to the end of the track.

END moves the cursor to the end of the project. If the tracks are
all the same length, it does the same as K.

SHIFT + J selects from the cursor to the start of the track (so
moves the start of playback to there). SHIFT + K selects from the
cursor to the end of the track (so doesn't move the start of
playback).

Comma (,) may be good for a short seek (jump) back from the end
of the track. Go to the Playback Preferences to set the short seek
and long seek distances.

All the shortcuts are listed here:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/keyboard_shortcut_reference.html  .




Gale


> On Nov 12, 2012, at 5:03 PM, "bob cavanaugh" <bobdavcav@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Use shift J to move to the top and shift K to move to the bottom, then use
> > your arrow keys to move through the file from there.
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Alex Hall [mailto:mehgcap@gmail.com]
> > Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 12:34 PM
> > To: audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: [Audacity-users] unable to navigate backward from end of file
> >
> > Hello list,
> > I have a podcast series stored on my computer. The podcast creators release
> > one episode every week or three, with three episodes per chapter. As I have
> > a lot of archived chapters, I want to combine each chapter's three episodes
> > into one file. I am doing this by, essentially, removing the start and end
> > and putting the three together. Now, the problem: I can press home and then
> > space to play from the start of the file, but I cannot press end,
> > shift-comma, space to move to a point near the end of the file. This means
> > that when I want to try removing audio from the end of a file I have to go
> > to the beginning and jump through the entire thing. Is there some setting or
> > keystroke I'm missing? I am using Audacity 2.0.1 on a mac with Mountain
> > Lion. I am also using Voiceover as I cannot see the screen, so only keyboard
> > commands will be of use to me. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in
> > advance.
> >
> >
> > Have a great day,
> > Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
> > mehgcap@gmail.com





------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 23:06:24 GMT
From: gale@audacityteam.org
Subject: [Audacity-users] Eliminate background noise WAS Re: Why some
    additional files ?
To: Discussion list for Audacity users
    <audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Message-ID: <20121112230622.DABF.79ADB3FC@audacityteam.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"


On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:58:35 -0500
"anthony marzilli" <mrmiami@usa.com> wrote:
> is it possible to eliminate backround noise to just hear voice of an existing recording

Yes, you can try Noise Removal to begin with, as I already
suggested off-list:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/noise_removal.html .

This assumes the problem is steady hiss or hum in the
background. It is not a way to remove random bangs and
scrapes. If that is the problem, that is very difficult to deal
with but a plug-in might help somewhat. Please ask if you
want details. 

Also, please start a new topic for a new subject ("compose"
or similar in your e-mail program). This is not about "additional
files".


Thanks


Gale







------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:22:44 -0500
From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@gmail.com>
Subject: [Audacity-users] joining tracks (was unable to navigate
    backward    from end of file)
To: audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <4DFD7F64-0501-4D91-ACD8-5CDE4A687438@gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Okay, now I'm able to navigate my three episode tracks, I'm having trouble combining them. Once I cut them right, I need only make them into one long track, one after the other with no separation at all. I tried selecting all and pasting, but I have a feeling that I'm doing something wrong with selecting (pressing enter on tracks). I feel like I've asked this before, so I apologize if this is a repeat question, but I found no past emails on this topic. I have done this before, I just can't seem to get it to work now. Again, thanks for all the help.
On Nov 12, 2012, at 5:55 PM, gale@audacityteam.org wrote:

>
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:15:27 -0500
> Alex Hall <mehgcap@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Shift selects, it didn't move for me. However, your message made me think
>> to try just j and k, and those worked perfectly. Thanks!
>
> In case it helps:
>
> J moves the cursor to the start of the track and K moves the
> cursor to the end of the track.
>
> END moves the cursor to the end of the project. If the tracks are
> all the same length, it does the same as K.
>
> SHIFT + J selects from the cursor to the start of the track (so
> moves the start of playback to there). SHIFT + K selects from the
> cursor to the end of the track (so doesn't move the start of
> playback).
>
> Comma (,) may be good for a short seek (jump) back from the end
> of the track. Go to the Playback Preferences to set the short seek
> and long seek distances.
>
> All the shortcuts are listed here:
> http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/keyboard_shortcut_reference.html  .
>
>
>
>
> Gale
>
>
>> On Nov 12, 2012, at 5:03 PM, "bob cavanaugh" <bobdavcav@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Use shift J to move to the top and shift K to move to the bottom, then use
>>> your arrow keys to move through the file from there.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Alex Hall [mailto:mehgcap@gmail.com]
>>> Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 12:34 PM
>>> To: audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>>> Subject: [Audacity-users] unable to navigate backward from end of file
>>>
>>> Hello list,
>>> I have a podcast series stored on my computer. The podcast creators release
>>> one episode every week or three, with three episodes per chapter. As I have
>>> a lot of archived chapters, I want to combine each chapter's three episodes
>>> into one file. I am doing this by, essentially, removing the start and end
>>> and putting the three together. Now, the problem: I can press home and then
>>> space to play from the start of the file, but I cannot press end,
>>> shift-comma, space to move to a point near the end of the file. This means
>>> that when I want to try removing audio from the end of a file I have to go
>>> to the beginning and jump through the entire thing. Is there some setting or
>>> keystroke I'm missing? I am using Audacity 2.0.1 on a mac with Mountain
>>> Lion. I am also using Voiceover as I cannot see the screen, so only keyboard
>>> commands will be of use to me. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in
>>> advance.
>>>
>>>
>>> Have a great day,
>>> Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
>>> mehgcap@gmail.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a single
> web console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases, vmware,
> SAP, cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial.
> Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov
> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1) 
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
>  Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer) 
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>  connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: Audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users



Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
mehgcap@gmail.com






------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a single
web console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases, vmware,
SAP, cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial.
Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov

------------------------------

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1) 

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
  Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer) 

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
  connected to the computer?

Mailing list: Audacity-users@lists.sourceforge.net
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users

End of Audacity-users Digest, Vol 74, Issue 9
*********************************************