Help
seany
2014-01-30
2014-02-03
  • seany
    seany
    2014-01-30

Hello, I installed tulip to /usr/local/bin

starting it fails with the message : error while loading shared libraries: libtulip-core-4.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

what can be done about it? where do tulip look for it'S libraries?

exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not helping either

Last edit: seany 2014-01-30
  • Adam Miller
    Adam Miller
    2014-01-30

Well, you can put the libraries on the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and that might help when you run it. I think I traced down a similar set of bugs related to dlopen calls in the TulipLibraryLoader.cpp file in the tulip-core module. You might want to just compile the application from source as a debug build, then just run it under gdb. A good likely hood is that the problem was fixed between the release version you have and the bleeding edge, and compilation I can guide you through :)

• seany
    seany
    2014-01-30

No, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH manipulation did not help.
    (but glad to knwo that this bug is already known and addressed)
    how do i get the bleeding edge? (i am assuming it is not 4.4.0)
    I want to use it with a pkgbuild script, as in arch linux . so i will need help on how to use the debug build with it :)

• Adam Miller
    Adam Miller
    2014-01-30

Well actually, the last I checked there is an install script on the ... place where you share pkgbuilds... can't think of the name at the moment. Check that, you might just jump on top for free.

• seany
    seany
    2014-01-30

you mean AUR? arch user repo?

ha ha .

I am using the same script with some tweaks to match my os (a arch derivative), to change the name of package qt4 to qt, etc.

still does not work

• Adam Miller
    Adam Miller
    2014-01-30

Also, if that doesn't work (I think it's likely stale) I would like you to help me get set up with arch in return; I can walk you from zero to hero on this building tulip thing, and I don't think the library developers are concerned with much other than developing the library. It took me about 10 days to be able to build on linux for various reasons, and even longer for windows. But I can get this built now for any platform, x32/x64, Qt4/Qt5 with pyqt4 or 5 and I can even give you scripts and pointers on how to build your own standalone in C++ based off of this library.

• Adam Miller
    Adam Miller
    2014-01-30

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Yeah I guess you beat me to it. Alright well, I'm going to start out by giving you a link to read; I want you to read the whole thing, but don't actually act upon it. I want all of our exchanges to take place here where they can be searched and reviewed for later users, that way people don't suffer the way I did. lol

Let me know when you've read that.

Anyway: http://tulip.labri.fr/TulipDrupal/?q=node/1461

• seany
    seany
    2014-01-30

yes, i read it. it takes about a generrate button. in CLI with cmake, i am not aware of a generate command. I have a cmake command like this:

QT_ROOT=/usr/lib/qt cmake .. \ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \ -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=ON \ -DQT_MOC_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/moc

Here, the moc executable is specifically specified to avoid clash between qt4 and qt5, and cmake is being called in a subdir called "build" under the source_root/tulip directory.

• seany
    seany
    2014-01-30

of course, i will be more than honored to help in any way.

• Adam Miller
    Adam Miller
    2014-01-30

Well, I've never needed to specify the Qt root, I'll walk through the steps necessary to get tulip compiled on linux and post all (every single step) of the instructions for you. I think that would be the fastest way; if you want, what we can do is just exchange virtual machines (I'll still document what I do, please do so yourself too).

Anyway, if you could just put together an arch install in a vmware player vm or something and find a way to host it for me, that would work just fine with me. I can get arch installed just fine, but when it comes time to get it to start up using a window manager and all that, I have been having hell. I'm sure it's something simple that I just don't understand, but to be honest I'm working on a master's thesis here, and I at times I just want shit to work. lol

Anyway, I like the window managers xmonad (haven't actually learned it yet) and lxde. If you can get it to boot to one of those and a simple username and password like root/root vickery/vickery or something that would be great! :)

• seany
    seany
    2014-01-30

so am I, and for my thesis, i wanted to present some interaction of some meteorological systems as a cycleless graph in 3d with tulip, and the thing wont respond.

i will find a way to host an arch be the end of the week.

and i am not aware of any tulip alternatives that can do things in 3d

• Adam Miller
    Adam Miller
    2014-01-30

Yeah I have a dropbox that holds 31 gigs, so if you want to jump on #tulip and bark some I'll send you a pm and we can exchange emails in order that I can invite you to a shared folder.

• Adam Miller
    Adam Miller
    2014-01-30

Oh! There's gephi. Not that I want to turn you away from tulip; gephi and tulip have their pros and cons, and I chose tulip over gephi, just fyi.

• seany
    seany
    2014-01-31

oh gephi is not doing it in 3d

• Adam Miller
    Adam Miller
    2014-01-31

I was pretty sure that Gephi has 3d capability, but that it's just not able to scale at the same level as tulip...

Anyway, I'll try and complete that custom vm today.

• Adam Miller
    Adam Miller
    2014-02-03

These directions will guide you if you have to do anything custom, but you don't need to do anything personally, because I've already made a vm.

Directions:

Install all of the following (relative to the repositories you use):
    cmake-gui gcc g++ make subversion qmake-qt4 libfreetype6 libglew1.8 libglew-dev libfreetype6-dev python2.7-dev libjpeg-dev libpng12-dev binutils binutils-dev python-pip doxygen qt-sdk

If you get an error later about c++ not working, install libstdc++-4.8-dev

run this:
    sudo easy_install sphinx

Download and install Qt 5.2 to ~/Qt/Qt-5.2.0-x64

checkout the source with svn;
    mkdir -p ~/tulip/src ; mkdir -p ~/tulip/build/debug/Qt5/x64/install ; mkdir -p ~/tulip/build/debug/Qt4/x64/install
    cd ~/tulip/src ; svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/auber/code/tulip ./
    Open the Cmake gui
    point the source at ~/tulip/src
    point the build directory to the appropriate subdirectory based upon the exact configuration
    Hit configure
    Specify the build type as debug
    Specify the install prefix as the <appropriate directory="" in="" the="" "where="" to="" build="" the="" binaries"="" box="">/install
    hit configure
    You should get an error about it not finding qmake. For whatever build you're doing, specify the location of qmake in ~/Qt/version/whatever

For Qt5, click the button "use qt5 if available"
    For Qt5, specify the following for each of these variables when you hit configure:
    QT_MKSPECS_DIR: ~/Qt/Qt-5.2.0-x64/5.2.0/gcc_64/mkspecs
    For each of the following cmake variables in the gui, use this prefix and then just tak on the appropriate name, as in Qt5Network_Dir, <prefix>/Qt5Network

The prefix for Qt5 is ~/Qt/Qt-5.2.0-x64/5.2.0/gcc_64/lib/cmake
    Qt4 gets installed from qt-sdk, so it doesn't really have a prefix, it just works and gets found, so these variables don't even apply below in that case, although with the way the ubuntu repository works may have you chasing various qt submodules.

Qt5Network_Dir, Qt5OpenGL_DIR, Qt5WebKitWidgets_DIR, Qt5WebKit_DIR, Qt5Widgets_DIR, Qt5XmlPatterns_DIR, Qt5Xml_DIR, Qt5Gui_DIR

if Qt5Gui_GL_LIBRARY comes up, enter ~/Qt/Qt-5.2.0-x64/5.2.0/gcc_64/lib/cmake/Qt5Gui and then hit configure again.

OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR: /usr/include
    OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so
    OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLU.so
    GLEW_INCLUD_DIR : /usr/include

click configure you should get an error about python; click advanced:
    PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR: /usr/include/python2.7
    PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR2: /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/python2.7
    PYTHON_LIBRARY: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython2.7.so

hit configure, until all you see is the following output (fix each of the red errors):
    Looking for bfd.h
    Looking for bfd.h - found
    Configuring done

Then hit generate. Go to the directory where you specified to build the binaries, make and install (Replace N with your core count).
    make -jN && install

Go to your <compile dir="">/install/bin
    you should be able to do ./tulip and it should run

To import to python, put the following in your rc file (.zshrc or .bashrc)

export PYTHONPATH=<compile>/install/lib/python
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<compile>/install/lib

Also, the vm has been prepared, I have personally run 32 bit tulip for both qt4 & qt5, and I know for certain that it works. I've even fired up python with PYTHONPATH set for each of LD_LIBRARY_PATH to each of the respective directories. So you don't really have to follow any of this, it's been done for you lol