Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Could not determine the perspective to launch

Help
2012-11-08
2013-04-20
  • David Monarchi
    David Monarchi
    2012-11-08

Hello -

System: Win 7 Pro x64

I am struggling to get 4.1 to open.  (It's installed but won't open.)  In desperation, I have been trying to execute tulip_perspective from a command line to see if it would give me any hints as to the problem.  When I execute it, a popup opens "Checking arguments".  Eventually it generates an error: "could not determine the perspective to launch.Failed to unzip project."  Since I'm flying blind, I don't know what arguments it is expecting nor what are valid.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  :-)

FWIW, I've successfully installed 4.1 on a machine that is virtually identical to mine, and 4.1 seems to run without any problems there.  I'm mystified as to what is awry.

Thank you.

Best,
    David

PS: 3.8 runs without any problems on my machine.

• Patrick Mary
    Patrick Mary
    2012-11-12

From the 'bin' subdirection of the Tulip installation directory
    the tulip_perspective.exe can be run as follows:
    > tulip_perspective -perspective=Tulip

Hope this helps
    PM

• David Monarchi
    David Monarchi
    2012-11-12

Thanks, Patrick.  I ran the command as you instructed and it opened tulip successfully, although I'm not sure all of the panes are there.  My recollection of opening it on a colleague's machine is that the initial screen is different.  However, I still can't open 4.1 directly using tulip.exe (I posted that problem also and you replied to it.)  Rather than jump back and forth, I'll continue here.)

I looked at the tulip-config file, but didn't know what I should be trying to find.  However one line at the beginning didn't make any sense.
                     prefix=C:/Users/tulip/jenkins/workspace/Tulip_MinGW/install_dir

There is no jenkins on my machine, so I don't know where this came from.  Is it hard coded in the setup or is something awry.

Thanks again for your help.  As I said a couple of years ago, Tulip is great and you all have steadily improved it.  I can't wait to really get into using 4.1.  :-)

Best,
    David

• Patrick Mary
    Patrick Mary
    2012-11-13

The file tulip-config is of none interest in your problem because it is not involved in the launch of the tulip.exe.
    This executable (the tulip agent) is normally responsible of the launch of the tulip's perspectives;
    but there is only one in thestandard installation, the one you launched with the command I gave you.
    So the window you've seen on your colleage's machine is certainly the one of the tulip agent
    with 'Welcome' 'Plugins center' and 'About us' tabs; while on your machine you've seen the only existing perspective,
    the one dedicated to graph visualization.

Patrick