Menu

Can I allocate more memory for Tulip 3.4?

2010-08-09
2013-04-20
  • David Monarchi

David Monarchi - 2010-08-09

Hello -

I posted this question on the help forum, but don't know if that is the correct spot.  I apologize if it is not appropriate for this forum.

I've looked in the forums and in the documentation using the phrases "memory allocation" and "allocate memory" and can't find a way to allocate more memory for Tulip 3.4. I'm trying to increase the amount of memory so Tulip will process my graph faster. The graph has ~300K edges and ~125K nodes.

System configuration:
    RAM: 12GB
    Processor: quad core i7 with hyper threading.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Best, David

PS: Is 3.4 multi-threaded?

• Patrick Mary

Patrick Mary - 2010-08-10

There is no documented way to preallocate memory used by a graph in Tulip 3.4.
    But if your graph has been saved with Tulip 3.4 using the new version 2.1 (the default) of the tlp format,
    the preallocation of the memory needed for the storage of nodes and edges is automatically done.
    Tulip 3.4 is partially multi-threaded especially during the Open GL rendering phase.

• David Monarchi

David Monarchi - 2010-08-11

Thanks for the information.  My problem isn't with saving the graph but rather with constructing the initial representation and subsequently modifying it with, for example, a force algorithm.  Occasionally, Tulip just seems to lock up, so I thought that if I could allocate more memory to it, that might solve the problem.  Do you have any advice for addressing this?

Thanks again.
    David

• Patrick Mary

Patrick Mary - 2010-08-11

If you think it may be a problem of memory allocation, you can try to allocate/deallocate (using malloc/free)
    a big chunk of memory at the beginning of your program. In doing this you can ensure that the memory space needed
    by the subsequent calls to Tulip code is already allocated to your process.

• David Monarchi

Thanks for the suggestion, pmary, but I'm not running Tulip from a program.  I'm using the gui (i.e., tulip.exe).  When it executes, there is plenty of unallocated memory available, but it doesn't seem to acquire more as it runs.  (I observe the memory, cpu, io, etc. using the resource monitor in Win7 x64.) 

My data is in a 2TB database, from which I write a tlp file per the specifications online.  Then I run tulip.exe and open the tlp file as my starting point.  Once the file has been read, I start manipulating the graph and then save it.  It's during the manipulation (e.g., with a layout algorithm), that the program seems to bog down and sometimes crash.

Any ideas on how I might tackle this?

Thanks again.
    David

• Patrick Mary

Patrick Mary - 2010-08-11

In order we can reproduce your problem, if  it is possible, send us one of your generated tlp files and indicate the layout
    algorithm you want to run on.

• David Monarchi

I'm leaving town today, but will send you the information as soon as I can.  Is there a site to which I can ftp the file?

Thank you for your willingness to look at this.

Best regards,
    David