Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Labels in Tulip 3.5.0

2010-12-02
2013-04-20
  • David Auber
    David Auber
    2010-12-02

We are about to commit an important modification of label management for the Tulip 3.5.0.release

- Bitmap labels and texture labels will be removed, we will only support 3D labels.
    - The new labels will be scalable/or not that means they will be scale inside the node or not.
    - Using that it will be possible to have a behaviour closed to the previous bitmap mode.
    - Furhtermore, it will be possible to turn on/off the label occlusion test and that test will
    works in scale or not scale mode.

It seems that this change will ease a lot of Tulip user, however if there is officianados of the bitmap (I am) mode
    let us know.

David.

• David Auber
    David Auber
    2010-12-02

Label position management:

In order to keep the possibility to place labels at center/top/left/right/bottom, In scale mode we will use the textIncludedBoundedBoxes
    return by each glyph.

That functionnality ease implementation of special glyph,(for instance the labels in the window glyph used for squarified treemap visualization)

Default position will be implemented thus existing glyph won't be affected (just need to recompile) by that modification.

David.

• brenoust
    brenoust
    2011-01-04

I didn't see this discussion before I posted a feature request on it.
    So how can we (simply, i.e. just in Tulip's interface if possible) simulate the bitmap mode?

Thanks,

• David Auber
    David Auber
    2011-01-13

Hi,

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only guy that like the previous tulip labels :-).
    To re-integrate the feautre I propose to add a new  functionnality in  the label rendering engine:

When we are not in scale mode, we can set the minimum display size of labels and the maximum size of displayed labels in the screen space (in pixel). Like that if the min is set to 10pix and the max to 30px, when I zoom out the label size will be decrease until they reach a size of 10px (and  they will keep that size). If I zoom in the label will increase until they reach a size of 30px.

If the user set the min to 0 and the max to +inf the system will work as it is working now. If the user set the min to 12 and the max to 12 the system will work like the previous tulip engine. We can easily add in the HCI the possibilty to change the min and max.

What do you think about that.

Wishes,
    David

• David Auber
    David Auber
    2011-01-13

Just to site my source, that idea comes from a  discussion with F. Van Ham in London :) several years ago.

David.

• David Auber
    David Auber
    2011-01-14

That new labeling method as be comitted today. There is some bugs (of course) but it seems to be exactly what we needed.

Hope it wil do what you needs.
    Regards,
    David.