Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Welcome to Open Discussion

2009-02-01
2013-04-09
  • Welcome to Open Discussion

• Gerhard Lukert
      Gerhard Lukert
      2009-02-15

Hi, Rüdiger, may I join Your interesting project as "advanced end user"? Gerhard

• Hi Neptunius aka Gerhard, :-)

my warmest welcome! Thank you for registering.

I hope that together we can bring to life this project. Currently, I have nothing to test or check for you, I am still working on some conceptual questions. But if you have some ideas or possible use cases the software should do - this forum will be the right place for them.

Since my last post, I decided to work with C++ (not C) as language, as planned. The size of the binaries can be optimized in a later step (and, anyway, 150 KB is not really a trouble in those days...).

With kind regards,
        Rüdiger

• Gerhard Lukert
          Gerhard Lukert
          2009-02-24

Dear Rüdiger,

as You may know we have less sunspots since long, signalling the end of a cycle.

But now a new one cycle seems to start (showing his first spot in January 2008, with reversed polarity),

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/10jan_solarcycle24.htm

while the old one cycle still holds some fading spots

http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEMJSD5QGEF_index_0.html.

Meanwhile more and more mainstream scientists think about the outer planets to trigger the sunspot-cycles

http://www.publish.csiro.au/nid/138/paper/AS06018.htm

as did "cosmobiologist" Theodor Landscheidt about 20 years ago.

Also N.F. Michelsen dedicated a chapter in his famous book to this subject, and we therefore could generally assume, that patterns in the planets may influcence the rotation of the sun, thus causing changes in the sun's magnetosphere with all its following effects (weather on earth, geomagnetic activity etc.).

I would like to suggest that Your new project should be so flexible (in regard to its structure) that research also could be made into the above described directions. And it may be useful therefore, to have all options of coordinate systems (provided by the ephemeris and swedll).

As I understand, in the geocentric system the "center of mass" (C.M.) of the planetary system would be an "object" according to Your settings, in heliocentric mode, too. But in barycentric view the sun (= its midpoint?!) becomes an object - like the latter one is an object in geocentric, but not in heliocentric view.

The rotation of the sun is a difficult task (and I think it is not really solved), but I assume that the C.M. and also the sun seen barycentrically will show very interesting patterns (figures, regular/irregular loopes) which eventually could be linked to the patterns of the planets.

I hope that such ideas do not give You complications in Your work but instead increase Your spirit and later Your satisfaction if "end users" from other fields of research may use "AstroPattern", too.

Kind regards, Neptunius

• Dear Neptunius,

thank you for your input regarding the Sun's Center of Mass. I have seen the impressive curves contained in Neil F. Michelsens work about this Center.

I can do a research on this, maybe it is already contained in the Swiss Ephemeris - I simply don't know it by heart.

My main attention for the moment is on the search algorithms for "classical" constellations like conjunctions, ingresses and so on. I will keep you in touch.

Kind regards,
      Rüdiger

• Anonymous
    2010-10-09

Hello people.
    I'm new to this. And very attracted by this project. It's really useful.
    Congratulations for the initiator(s). They deserve it completely.
    I don't know if I can help (I'm not into C/C++ too much, (and programming is a quite past subject for me).
    Bye.

• Anonymous
    2010-10-09

Where can we post / give:
    - suggestions / ideas / request features,
    - feedback,
    - bugs reporting (I already encountered a bug:P)

?

• Hello Mihai (?),

the "Open Discussion" is the meeting point for discussions, bug reports, feedback etc.

Concerning your previous postings: You are quoting an old 2009 concept ticket. Are you aware that since then, many things have changed? The project is released now, see the documentation on http://astropatterns.sourceforge.net/guide.html

As developer, I am always happy not to be involved in (boring) naming issues. As for myself, I follow Reinhold Ebertin's proposals for an international nomenclature.  It is for this reason that you can invent and use your own acronyms for the planets and discuss these things with your friends (not with me).  In the Excel workbook, there is a worksheet Planets in which the names of the planets can be defined arbitrarily. When using another UI, there are the C API functions ap_set_planets(), ap_add_planet(), ap_add_planetA() and ap_clear_planets() to define the planets to work with - and their names (see the API reference http://astropatterns.sourceforge.net/api_reference.html)

Kind regards,
    Rüdiger

• Anonymous
    2010-10-10

I am interested in apc+ and horographic. They are almost all I needed.
    Actually they may be all I needed, but I don't find all capabilities of apc+, only generalities.
    I don't understand now how much was implemented in it, and I wanted to avoid as much as possible digging into code, because I'm not so much into C++ and it's hard for me to read it.

About the posting. Should I open a new topic? Because I don't see a topic with bugs/etc.
    I will try to create one (if I don't have rights, I will post here.

Do you plan any port of apc+ to linux?