Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Per-Vertex animation

Help
konmat
2014-01-30
2014-02-03
  • konmat
    konmat
    2014-01-30

Hello,

i am relatively new to OpenGl. I am creating an application to load 3D objects, both static and animated.
    I am using Assimp as object loader and i have successfully managed to load different object as well as animate them using skeletal animations. However now i would like to add an option for a per-vertex animation. I've been looking around for some sort sample or pseudo code, but i seem to be unable to find anything which is using Assimp aiNodeAnim to create per-vertex animation. I need to animate parts of a model, and those parts are animated in linear fashion (eg. spinning wheel or parts of it going up and down repeatedly) and i have no bone data for that.
    I wanted to ask if there is anything to be used as an example or a starting point which uses Assimp data to perform this kind of animation? Once again, everything i found so far is for skeletal animation only.

• konmat
    konmat
    2014-02-03

Hello,

since i did not get any input on my question, i thought maybe i asked incorrectly. Basically what i need is a way to animate a model which has no bones, but has animations.
    I downloaded AssimpView and it's source code and i can see that AssimpView can animate a model without bones without any problem and it looks smooth and good, but i cannot seem to find a place where it does that, in it's source code.
    The bone loading part is similar to mine, however i do not see where it loads animations for boneless models. The only place i found something is in Display.cpp file inside RenderNode function, where it checks if mesh has bones, and if so uploads bone matrix to vertex shader, and if not, then it uploads identity matrix to shader. However identity matrix does not seem to do anything with animations whatsoever. So if anyone could point me to somewhere where i could find more information regarding this issue, i would be grateful.

• konmat
    konmat
    2014-02-03

Ok, i think i have managed to make animation work, by getting global transformation from SceneAnimator class and passing it to vertex shader.