Next Release and FBX

Anonymous
2013-03-14
2013-06-03

• Anonymous
    2013-03-14

Hi,

I see that the FBX importer seems to be fairly stable on the github repo, and it's already starting to get some use by SharpDX (using AssimpNet). I have two questions:

1. Is there an ETA for the next release?

2. Are there plans for FBX export?

• Hi,

there is no ETA - but personally, I'd have targeted a release date this summer.

Currently there are no plans for fbx exporting. It's not exactly clear yet how fbx work will continue in future, it could be that we will work together with the Blender team to build up a shared library that handles fbx but things are not decided yet.

Any contributions with regard to fbx or fbx exporting would be very welcome, though.

Bye, Alex

• JDDuke
    JDDuke
    2013-03-15

@Alex

I've run into some trouble loading binary FBX files on Android.  The parser inevitable runs into unexpected data (as a result, crashing) after the file has been loaded into memory.  This occurs both with GCC 4.6 and GCC 4.7, as well as with either stlport or libstdc++, using the latest Android NDK.

Are there any particular platform specific operations that might affect how binary FBX files are loaded and parsed?  In particular, the functions ParseTokenAsFloat/ParseTokenAsString inevitable fail.  I don't think this is an endian issue, but perhaps there are other assumptions that may not apply to Android? I'd love to hear any ideas you might have, thanks.

• Hi,

this is strange.

If it is not about endianess, it's probably alignment and/or padding. I'll check into the code for any issues related thereto. Can you file a bug for it?

Bye, Alex