Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Collada 1.4.1 vs. 1.5

Anonymous
2012-11-02
2013-06-03

• Anonymous
    2012-11-02

Hi folks, not sure if this has been asked before. I noticed AssImp (only tried the Viewer so far though) exports Collada version 1.4.1 (July 2006), but version 1.5 has been around the block for over 4 years already. Any reason for this? I'm halfway implementing Collada 1.5 import logic but if that isn't in wide-spread use and users will only throw 1.4.1 docs at it, then I have to go back to the drawing.

"Ideally", I reasoned, "ideally there'd just be some any-version-to-1.5 converter out there somewhere… maybe one of the general asset-converters…  hey what about AssImp, shouldn't it be able to do just that?" And thus I arrived here  ;)

• Anonymous
    2012-11-02

Eh, sorry. Now I re-read the FAQs more carefully, I realize main focus is of course on the import-lib (can't use that myself as I'm developing in Go and can link only to C APIs, not C++ libs) and any export function of the viewer is just a goodie. OK nevermind, awesome tool btw!

• Anonymous
    2012-11-02

Aaaand now I realized assimp *does* have a pure-C interface… sorry for this whole stream of newbness…

• No problem :-) Thomas, author of the Collada loader and exporter here. And to be honest: I don't really know to which Collada version the exported files adhere to. I just put a default header there and dump the data in a form that *most* reader apps out there don't complain about. Note the "most", because the specification is an overengineered pile of steaming excrements and literally every Collada reader out there has to make compromises and work arounds to read some data. If you want I can change the Collada spec version in the exported files to 1.5, but it won't make any difference.

• One last note: Collada export does currently not support lights, skeletons, cameras, animations. I always wanted to add those, but I never actually needed them, and my time has gotten increasingly rare in the last years.