System Requirements

Help
cip2
2005-03-14
2013-04-06
  • cip2
    cip2
    2005-03-14

What are the genral System Requirements for Version 0.2.7.1?
    I'm puting a LAN party together and we need to know.

• Fred
      Fred
      2005-03-15

Depends on how well you want it to run ;). I've seen it run on systems as old as 95, and it was more or less playable. But, I'd recomend like at least an 600mhz P3 with at least like a GeForce2 or so.

• cip2
        cip2
        2005-03-15

Would it run on this type of system? If you can tell me how well would it run that would help too!

RAM: 32MB
        CPU: PII-450MHz-MMX
        Graphics: 2x-AGP RAGE-PRO II

These are the types (lowest end) of the computers we will be using.

Some other questions:
        1) I didn't know that you developed a server for this game. How much of a performins boost do you get in using the server?
        2) How much disk space does this game take?

• Fred
          Fred
          2005-03-15

I've seen it played on that level of computer before. It won't necessarily look fantastic, but if you turn down the graphics settings, it will be playable. I don't realy understand your question #1 so I'll skip to #2 for now. Disk usage is minimal. I think it's like 3MB, tops. Now back to #1... Well, I still don't really understand your question. Could you clarify it some?

• cip2
            cip2
            2005-03-15

I did not know that you had been developing a server for this game.
            File: armagetronad-windows-dedicated-0.2.7.1.exe
            That is, I think that is a server. So the question is...

How much of a performance boost do you get in using the server?

• Fred
              Fred
              2005-03-15

Ok, a boost compared to what tho?

• cip2
      cip2
      2005-03-15

Compared from: running game client to game client (peer-to-peer).
      Compared to: running game client to game server (client-to-server).

In some games, that have a server they put in special code that does some of the work load the game (client) would normally do to compensate for the extra work load put on to the computer (client) due to the network. This is just one of the many ways a client-to-server relationship can be used to cause a performance boost for the client (end user-player).

So the question is...
      How much of a performance boost do you get in using the client-to-client compared to client-to-server?

In short general terms:
      What are the benefits of using the server?

Thank you for taking the time, I must say that this is becoming one of my favorite games. Keep up the good work!

• Fred
        Fred
        2005-03-16

You know, I've never actually looked at performance differences, but I'd imagine since some load would be taken off the client and the client computer, that there'd be a bit of a boost by using the dedicated server on another computer.

• cip2
          cip2
          2005-03-16

Ok, I'll see what I can do on this end. If I can come up with some results that are worth sharing I will share them here.