Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

HD advancement

Ideas
2007-09-25
2013-06-06
  • My proposal is an upgrade to the RP system about the possible bashing of monsters one time and another to rack up experience. Why not letting the monster stats adjust to the surrounding opponents (players) levels? Setting something like Hit Dice Advancements (like in D&D) a monster might increase it's stats before a fight to adjust to the opponent. This can be based maybe by the opponents in a range or even a zone. i.e. have a skeleton base level 5 and HD 3 can turn up to level 8 if opponents are of higher level. In D&D I as DM got a party average and based the HD advancement based on it.

I know, bring a low level player with you at all times break this. But no, if you use a stat like median (i.e. lv 3, 14,16,18,19 median = 16!).

Maybe it needs some work but at least creatures will always give the player a challenge.

• Alex
      Alex
      2007-09-27

This sort of thing works well when a specific course is planned and the players aren't supposed to have to "train" for too long before progressing in the story, like a single-player RPG or a cooporative RPG.  In an MMO, though, I think part of the purpose of monster difficulty is so people have to get their skills high enough to go to a certain area, and adjusting monsters to the players seems like an awkward thing to do.  Anyway, that's just my two cents, I'm not saying this is a bad idea. 

• I understand your point but mine isn't working against yours. Basically the monsters will have a base level, for which the player must train, i.e. 5 HD 3 but if a high level party attacks they would get raided. This is a situation basically against campers. The monsters will always be a threat up to a certain point.

• Right now the real problem with all the fight system is that RP is boring ( yes, it is! ) and it doesn't add alternatives/strategies to kill monsters more than hack&slash. A new RP system is already done and we may integrate it in the next big release that should happen on a months.

Your proposal may cause more problems that advantage, just imagine that a strong party pass around a monster and so the monster increase its stats but they leave the monsters and later a weak party come and the monster kill them all.

• I agree with the rp being boring and the work it must be done. I understand your point but maybe this can be done to certain monsters only. Those that must be killed in order to go forward.

About the new rp where can I read about it?

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments