Use no account/password?

Developers
2010-02-05
2013-06-06
  • Is there a way to receive perceptions without logging into the system and have an account?

Here's my scenario:

In one of my projects (Xinco, https://sourceforge.net/projects/xinco/) I'm planning to use Marauroa server to distribute updates from clients but I don't need users and passwords for normal clients (the ones with public access). They just need to know about changes like documents changes and stuff. I don't want to create accounts and such for those if I don't have to since they will be anonymous.

Any idea?

• Marboard currently uses a very simple approach: I creates a random account with a random password and logs in with that. This is obviously not a good solution as it fill the account table with dead entries.

I suggest that you do send a login message. Either a special "Login as anonymous" message or a normal one with the fixed username "anonymous" and an empty password (like FTP). With allows you to mix anonymous and authenticated users on the same server. Authenticated users will likely be handy for administrative purpose later.

There is one check on login which you need to remove for anon users: Marauroa currently kicks the old connection if you try to login with the same username. While this is still a good thing for admin accounts, it should obviously not happen for anon users.

• Is this valid enough to request a feature?

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments