Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

CVS support by SourceForge discontinuing

Developers
2011-02-04
2013-06-06
  • They suggest Subversion as alternative, but we won't win anything from that. Subversion does have no significant advantages over CVS, but a number of drawbacks: It requires a plugin for Eclipse and both of them are not as stable as the integrated CVS  support (Subclipse, the more mature one, for example destroys data if you try to copy a folder and the bug report is "wont fix").

I think the only real alternatives are migrating to Git or staying with CVS on an other host. I can offer CVS hosting stendhalgame.org. There used to be a CVS on that server for other reasons in the past.

The git plugin for Eclipse is getting pretty usable in recent versions. The version integrated in the Eclipse Helius distribution, however, is unusable. So be careful what version you install.

I lean towards migrating to git. Perhaps someone on Windows can test TortoiseGit and give a little assessment.

• Martin Fuchs
    Martin Fuchs
    2011-02-04

I for myself have used Subversion for years now and regard it as a very reliable and usable versioning system. It also has the advantage to be very similar to the already well-known CVS from the users standpoint. The update/commit work flow is just the same as in CVS. The only big difference is, there is a global revision number for any commit - and that's an advantage compared to CVS's per-file-revisions. For the normal work it's no difference. It is just very handy when managing tags and branches. I know there are people that don't like SVN. So that's just my five cents.
    Distributed versioning systems like GIT also have some advantages, but they are a bit more complex to handle for the developer - especially when it comes to the user interface of Eclipse plugins.

• Markus
    Markus
    2011-02-04

From my point of view Git has some advantages, but the main drawback that I see is atm, that it is a bit more complex to use for not that experienced developers.

Regarding CVS and SVN I don't see a big difference there, both are more or less quite similar.

My main argument for migrating to Git would be Sourceforge integration and that counting to the activity (not really sure if the effect is that big).

Maybe we can find a technical option to provide a cvs bridge to a Git?

• Kimmo Rundelin
    Kimmo Rundelin
    2011-02-05

Personally I don't see much advantage in switching to svn. It looks like a minor update to cvs with none of the advantages of git (local commits and branches, good merging). I consider the extra complexity of the distributed systems well worth the trouble. (I have been keeping my local development in git for years to avoid destabilizing the main source tree whenever I need to make major changes; as long as we use cvs that just takes some extra effort on my part)

I'd also like to hear about experiences using TortoiseGit, as it look like the need for nice interfaces would be the most severe problem.

• I do agree that SVN is a minor update from CVS. It does work better and more efficient on some operations like tagging for example.

I do prefer new tools like Mercurial and Git on they distributed approach but sadly are hard to introduce to some programmers used to CVS/SVN

• Katie Russell
    Katie Russell
    2011-02-12

If we can get around git usability issues I would prefer to use that.

I will try to look at TortoiseGit for Windows and provide feedback. My first attempt failed but I had not really read the docs (was just trying to install out of the box blindly) and didn't notice I also needed to install msysgit. Other than that it looked and felt a lot like TortoiseCVS/TortoiseSVN, which is encouraging.

On Linux, I have been having problems with the Egit plugin but have taken note of hendrik's comments above about the version - its likely mine is that 'unusable' one - which would explain a lot! I'm getting comfortable with command line use, but I still find a visual notification in Eclipse of changed files to be very helpful, and I missed that with the recent CVS outage.

• The current nightly version of the eGit plugin is a lot better than the version that is preconfigured to be installed in Eclipse Helios. Eclipse traditionally releases new version at the end of June. So after June it will be easier to install a usable version of the git plugin.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments