Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

New game, need ideas...

Developers
2007-09-09
2013-06-06
  • Hi community, I'm the developer of jwrestling (https://sourceforge.net/projects/jwrestling). Basically it's a Wrestling card game. I've seen stendahl and loved it so now I'm integrating Marauroa server into my game (I was going to create my own but why reinvent the wheel).

Right now I'm thinking of a pokemon-like approach. Have an stendahl like world to search but wrestling matches in card fashion game. I'm having trouble thinking how to handle the matches since there will be tons of matches at the same time but one apart from others but more than 2 players can be in the same match.

Would just a match id be enough for separating actions/perceptions? How to handle turns in this kind of environment?

Your comments/ideas are more than welcomed!

• Just a clarification...

Basically the turn question refers to the fact that in the card game turns start and ends after a card is played or player passes among other things, it's not time based at all.

• I think match id would do the work OR create a new zone for each match that would reduce sizes and keep logic simpler.
      About handling turns, well, define a turn to be X marauroa turns or in the other hand if each players has a timeless turn, just keep a pointer of who owns this turn.

Just my 2 cents.

• I haven't yet gone thru the whole Mauroara and Stendhal codes. which you think I need to understand first?

I agree with your hints. I assume i need to use a server extension like Stendhal to make the new stuff like match id work.

Where can I see how Stendhal use the sprites? (i.e. an example of code and example of sprites used) I don't seem to find the actual sprites in cvs code.

A zone logic is like a thread in Java?

Thanks in advance!

• Read Marauroa documentation, then read Stendhal.
        Marauroa is just a framework, stendhal is the "plugin".

The game you propose is different from Stendhal. I don't think it will be an easy hack to do the changes.

For sprites look at games.stendhal.client package

No, zone logic is not a thread, it is handled by IRPRuleProcessor.beginTurn and endTurn

• Thanks for the tip!

About how easy will be the hack I see no problem at all. I already have a working wrestling card game that just needs a game server. Since both are in java I just need to modify mine to interact with Marauroa. I agree it would be really hard making my idea a reality from scratch and Marauroa, but with what I've seen from Marauroa so far it would be indeed easier than it was for me. It's been 5+ years coding my game (in my spare time). It just stalled lacking a server and I didn't had the time I needed to create one. Maraurao is the answer to my prayers...

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments