jagged character movement

Help
avwbre
2007-12-20
2013-06-06
  • avwbre
    avwbre
    2007-12-20

thanks to the online docs, I managed to a have a local stendhal-server-0.65 running with marauroa-2.1 on a SuSE linux box with kernel 2.6.13-15.16-default (...so much for having no idea why all this works).

Next I tried to play stendhal-0.65.
    But moving my character arround, I experience a very strange behavior:
    My character moves some pixels into the intended direction, but then erratically jumps back - like 'three steps ahead, two steps back' ?!?
    Moreover, I realized, that this does not only pertain to my character, but all other 'automatic' guys on the screen do the same thing.

I tried to fool arround with the 'turn_length' in the server.ini file. That seems to have some influence, but I never get down to a smooth response to the cursor keys.

In addition if a connect to my server from another machine on my local net, the lack/lag of response of stendhal to an attempted movement of a character is worse ?!?

Any suggestion what to check / or what to do ?
    Thanks for your help.

wobre

• The turn time is supposed to be 300ms. Anything else will get you dissynchronizes with the client.

• avwbre
      avwbre
      2007-12-22

this 'three steps ahead, two steps back' type of erratic motion of my avatar and all others on the screen is present already with the default setting of 300ms.

Is there any way to identify what might be the cause of this behavior, any information which I could provide additionally, or any hint what might be going wrong. At this stage stendhal is practically 'unplayable'.

(The only reason why I tried to mess with the the turn_time in response to this behavior was because I saw zillions of warnings from marauroa claiming 'Turn duration overflow'. Needless to say, that I don't know if this is of relevance.)

• I were going to suggest about turn time overflow.
        What CPU are you using? Anything less than 1.2 Ghz won't make with the server at it current size. If you still are willing to run the server you should try removing zones of it so it has to do less work.

Memory shouldn't be a problem, Stendhal will run ok in 512 MB.

• Could you please try to use only one thread?

As said in the other thread, by default java uses only 90MB, so the -Xmx-parameter is required as said in the wiki.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments