Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Ariane for a MMORPG ?

Help
2011-03-25
2013-06-06
  • Hi there !

I'm looking for an open source server that will help me to developp a MMORPG that may host plenty of players.

I'm wondering if Ariane could be a good open source server for a MMORPG that will be able to host about 10,000 clients per server.

What do you think ?

• Storing millions of accounts in the database is no issue, the number of concurrent online players is the interesting one.

On a home computer Stendhal, which is implemented using Arianne can handle 150 players. We don't have any numbers above that because it is hard for us to simulate more clients. And we did not have the need to optimize Stendhal for huge numbers of users, yet.

Marauroa (our engine) accesses the database asynchronous in recent versions, which considerable improved performance. But Marauroa does not support clusters, yet. So I am afraid, it is not ready for such a huge number of users. We are working on it, but it will take some more time.

To give some context: A Second Live region server can handle 160 concurrent users.  (40 per region, 4 regions per server). World of Warcraft has one server per 1,000 paying accounts. I estimate that a WoW realm cluster can handle about 5000 concurrent users. But that is split over a number of server nodes.

• Ok thank you for your complete answer ! In fact you may have noticed that I'm a newbie in the network domain and I don't really know how it works :D so my question wasn't founded…

I have another question : is Ariane accepting horizontal scalability ?

• Up !

Maybe I wasn't very clear :) My question is : is Ariane supporting clustering ? In other words, I want to know if it's possible to connect multiple servers, so that they work as a single logical unit ?

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments