mobile client to Arianne based server

vangop
2004-09-21
2013-06-06
  • vangop
    vangop
    2004-09-21

It seems that marauroa is what I've been looking for, but I'm still confused about how to write a game. The documentation is too scattered so I still don't have a clear picture.
    1. The MessageC2SXXX class is used to send messages from client to server. It implements Serializable due to javadocs, which makes it unusable on mobile phones(no serialization api). It's possible to create a client which sends byte[] over UDP; you can send primitive types/Strings, but not serialized objects. How can this be solved? I don't understand how to build a client without using this messaging API. Maybe you have a sample java client or a java oriented tutorial?
    2.I don't really understand why to use RPObject. This conception seems confusing. Do I have to use PRObjects in my game logic? Game logic is written in java, so I wouldn't want to rewrite the classes. How does not using of RPObjects influence perfomance?
    Thank you for your time

• 1. No serialization really. It use our own serialization class. You don't need to care about messages, just use them as in package mapacman.client class nullClient. That is a Java 100% class.

If you read ariannexp it does the serialization task in C.

2. Everything is done using RPObject, is is an ingame object with it set of attributes. If you don't use RPObjects you need to rewrite most of the RP generic code. I personally don't see why to skip them. May you show me an example?

About a game tutorial, I will try to add an addon to the Python tutorial, in fact, it is the same thing but you have to write it in another classes.

• vangop
    vangop
    2004-09-21

Yes, I see now that this serialization model fits me. But I will not be able to use NetworkManager at client side at least at its original form :( because its several fields are of types, which are not accessible on mobile platform( Map, List..).
    This also applies to Message, because it uses InetSocketAddress. As far as I saw this will not influence serialization of messages and client-server interaction, isn't it? I mean that Message class with cut InetSocketAddress fields will be serialized/deserialized correctly?

• ok, What are the alternatives for Map, List, etc on the mobile platform?
      On ariannexp I have implemented them using C++ STL containters. I am sure J2ME has something similar.

About messages and InetSocketAddress it won't matter at all, but looks like you will need to specialize somethings of the marauroa.net package...

• vangop
    vangop
    2004-10-26

Hi. Still about the subject: any success making arianne j2me compatible?

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments