I dunno what to call this

2005-02-04
2013-06-06
  • Okay here's the thing, I do not have time to spend all day making an MMORPG; so I was wondering if there is anyone that could make one for me or if there was already a free one that I would be allowed to use. THANKS!
    Peace

• Ragnar-GD
      Ragnar-GD
      2005-02-04

Dear anonymous,

there *is* someone who is going to make up a MMORPG just for you, so you just need to find him, and then: There you are. Just keep asking.
      A working example is "Planeshift" (just look out for it, they already are in open beta), and they have a policy that yes, you can use their source-code (although not their art).
      Developing a MMORPG requires about 50 people working together, lead by mean project-managers.
      As you can, i.e. use Planeshifts code, but not their art, you just need about 30 capable artist, make them work together and deliver in time, and there should be no problem.
      Keeping a MMORPG up and running online requires about 12 people available 365/24/7, which easily amounts to 36-50 people doing this in shifts. This number does not really depend on the number of players, if you have this number of staff available you can easily scale up from 200 parallel players to, say, 20.000 parallel players (if your players can stand some punishment, that is).
      Just gather this, say, 36 peaople, coach them, and you'll have your game flying with a breeze.
      Then there's only the hardware. First You'll need an online-provider handing out permanent IPs to you, and lend you a configured firewall.
      You'll need about 1 GHz and 1GB Ram per 200 Players, and a database-cluster with a valid backup-system (SAN comes to mind). Uh, yes, rack-place and some cooling-devices, if there are to be more than five servers, but that's obvious, isn't it?

So, say, what else do you want to know?

• Ragnar-GD
      Ragnar-GD
      2005-02-04

...and currently I'm skimming our users database to find anyone who says "dunno" and "peace" as well... it helps to know whom you are talking to... we are friendly, helpful peaople here at arianne, aren't we? Duh...

• My answer to this is an out-of-the-box persistent rpg that you could play online with your friends and that allows the you to select from packaged artwork or where you could add your own and personalize it and you determine how much items are worth and what the classes are etc. would be very popular.  Ability to change it up would be built into the interface (for non-programmer users).  But the user would have to set up your own server or you could offer hosting for a monthly fee (a good way to continue to get alittle income).  Everyone seems to want thier own mmorpg.

anyway, just an idea.

I personally would love a gothic one with vampires.    Oh well.

• Arianne is a persistent multiplayer online game ENGINE, also known as middleware.

Actually we are working tons of hours on the server and coding a client for a game called Stendhal, anyway it won't be for a good time since now, an "out-of-the-box" game that you can personalize "easily". It is not Arianne's target.

• Ragnar-GD
      Ragnar-GD
      2005-02-06

You are requesting something that simply does not exist, and if it should, many, many people had to work on it for years.
      A "M"MORPG says "massively", which means from 200 players parallelly and up. What you are looking for is probably a "customizable" "multiplayer"-RPG. I don't know of such a thing - and we can't and won't provide it here for years, to make sure.
      Here at Arianne we are struggling to get online-games going at all, and for the rpg-part we are only in planning-stage, we are mostly absorbed with getting essential requirements done. It's absolutely not trivial, it's one of the most complex software-tasks I know of, server-coding, client-coding, network-coding, getting servers up and running (safely in our home-network), etc.

You are bound to look for the vampire-rpg at your local retail-store, and if you want to play with friends, check it for multiplayer, I'm sorry to say.

• kim purnell
      kim purnell
      2005-02-23

ok, well, if you were the middleman and could write all the fancy code for the interface that would allow the average user to "personalize" the adrianne engine,   then we could potentially have thousands of kids with their very own MMORPGs.

• kim purnell
      kim purnell
      2005-02-23

MMOPRG erector set

• Ragnar-GD
      Ragnar-GD
      2005-02-23

I think at the moment every engine is far away from this. Before such a thing (a userfriendly build-your-won-MMORPG-package) can happen, the developers community needs a deeper understanding of the components of a MMORPG.
      There are i.e. some gamedesigners out there who start to understand how people tick (like, say, Richard Bartle), but I think even those pros couldn't really name all the layers within an engine, or those important layers outside the engine (that is: community management).
      Before that theoretical work is done, making a MMORPG will require high management, developers and psychologist skill.
      And besides, good MMORPGs need quite a bunch of assets, and especially people like you - 3D-artist - don't lay around everywhere. Most 3D-artist I know are working on several projects at once, because demand is so high, and supply so short.

Wanna join Arianne? :-)

• kim purnell
        kim purnell
        2005-03-14

ragnar, I would love to help out.  I see you need sprites for Stendal.  I did some quick sheep sketches - I was going for cute.  I will work on making them into sprites with an animation set and try some for the wolf too.

• Ragnar-GD
          Ragnar-GD
          2005-03-14

Yeah, Great!

Miguel will get into contact with you ASAP!

• Hi samoa,

Here it is the default sprite we are using now.
          http://stendhal.game-server.cc/player.gif

I hope you get the idea, it is 48x64 pixels.
          May you get the sheep and the wolf to match a character of that size?

Regards,
          Miguel

• kim purnell
            kim purnell
            2005-03-14

hi miguel!

yes, I was wondering about what size to make them.  Will each set of movement seqs have 3 animation frames?  I think I will have fun making the sheep eat food. 

ok, I will be off pixelating sheep.
            - wish me luck

btw - cute sheep cartoon  http://www.countyoursheep.com/d/20030611.html

• Inside a frame of 48 width x 64 height would be nice, but try to make sheep has a size that is related to the character we are using right now.

There is no limitation on the number of frames, and different animations can have a different number, the only rule is that width and height must be the same on all the frames.

BTW What about moving this to a new thread called Sheep GFX?

• kim purnell
      kim purnell
      2005-03-14

www.kpurnell.com/sheep.html

• kim purnell
      kim purnell
      2005-03-15

is that 48 pixels high?

• kim purnell
      kim purnell
      2005-03-18

the rest of this post has been moved to the Help Forum under Sheep GFX