Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Horizontal scalability ?

2011-03-29
2013-06-06
  • Hi there !

I am wondering if it's possible with Ariane to connect multiple servers, so that they work as a single logical unit ? I think we call this clustering and load balancing but I'm not sure… (I'm not an expert :D)

• Out of the box it is possible to have multiple realms that share one account database. Both sharing character objects across realms or having individual character objects is supported out of the box.

What is currently missing is, is clustering support. This boils down to two things:
    * client being told by one server to disconnect and connect to another server.
    * servers talking to each other to share common information, for example chat messages from a player on server a to another player on server b.

While a generic support for this is in the engine is on the TODO list, it is rather easy to code a specific version of it into your game.

Other aspects of scaliness are already supported: It is possible to put webserver, gameserver and databsae server on different servers. Database access is completely asynchronous, so a slow database will not slowdown the complete game world.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments