Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Aria2 v1.3.1 won't finish torrent d'load

Help [OLD]
2009-04-24
2012-09-28
  • John Dipper
    John Dipper
    2009-04-24

i get could good speeds until the torrent nears completion, then it seems to get stuck forever at 100%:

[#1 SIZE:174.5MiB/174.5MiB(100%) CN:65 SPD:0.00KiB/s UP:35.67KiB/s(70.8MiB)]

it hangs at 100% and the SPD drops off gradually but never gets to Seeding mode. i have to stop it and finish it with Bittornado. for this reason it's not really usable anymore. here is my ~/.aria2/aria2.conf file:

seed-ratio=0.0
    bt-max-peers=60
    bt-request-peer-speed-limit=100K
    max-overall-upload-limit=37K
    max-overall-download-limit=115K
    listen-port=10500-10509
    enable-peer-exchange=true
    enable-dht=true
    dht-listen-port=10510
    summary-interval=0
    file-allocation=none
    enable-direct-io=true

this happened on 3 torrents so far. what could be causing it to slow down just at the end?

• tujikawa
      tujikawa
      2009-04-24

The configuration looks good.
      The console-readout indicates that it was 100% complete, but actually it was not?
      Does this happens with linux torrent such as ubuntu9.04?

The log around stuck may help to determine the cause of the problem.

• tujikawa
      tujikawa
      2009-04-24

Were the torrents which cause problem multi-file or single-file? If multi-file, did you specify files using --select-file option?

• John Dipper
      John Dipper
      2009-04-24

thanks for the quick response.

these were all single-file media torrents (no Ubuntu iso), and no other options were used except those in the config file i posted. i ran a 4th test and exact same problem :(

no, they never completed totally. after stuck at 100% for ten minutes i stopped (Ctrl-C) the torrent and got INPR, signifying still in progress. i remember on older versions of aria2 the console output would show SEEDING, and when stopped it would say OK. As mentioned, i have to finish the last tiny fraction of a percent with BitTornado.

that's the puzzling thing, aria2 v1.3.1 connects to a large swarm in seconds and achieves near max d'load speed until it gets near 100%, then there is a massive slowdown and it refuses to complete. i get no errors .. it just hangs. i've never seen this type of behavior in other torrent clients i've used.

maybe you should get more feedback from others in case it's just me.

BTW, my OS is Linux Debian (Stable).

just for info..

$ aria2c -v
      aria2 version 1.3.1
      Copyright (C) 2006, 2009 Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
      but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
      MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
      GNU General Public License for more details.

Configuration
      Enabled Features: Async DNS, BitTorrent, Firefox3 Cookie, GZip, HTTPS, Message Digest, Metalink
      Hash Algorithms: md5, sha1, sha256

Report bugs to <tujikawa at users dot sourceforge dot net>

• Ant Bryan
        Ant Bryan
        2009-04-24

can you reproduce it while logging?
        use '-l logfile' option added to what you are already using.

I'm sure tt can track it down if he sees the log.

• John Dipper
      John Dipper
      2009-04-24

OK i'll try that next, but i noticed that log file gets awfully big .. too big to copy/paste here. can i gzip it to rapidshare or some other file hosting service?

• Ant Bryan
        Ant Bryan
        2009-04-24

that would be fine, or you could probably attach it to a bug report (Tracker -> Bugs) here on SF.

• John Dipper
      John Dipper
      2009-04-24

here's compressed LOG file of one that once again wouldn't finish..

http://rapidshare.com/files/225350844/LOG.gz.html

it uncompresses to 72 MB !!

• tujikawa
      tujikawa
      2009-04-25

Thank you for the quick response and uploading log.
      I found a bug in calculating the number of piece downloaded. I uploaded patch:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2781097&group_id=159897&atid=813675

• John Dipper
      John Dipper
      2009-04-25

nice work tujikawa,

i applied the patch and recompiled, and then reran the problem torrent and it finished without any slowdown or hanging at the end. it went right into SEEDING mode :)

now that it's working for me, i'd like to try using the mulitple torrent d'loads option, and the selectable files option and see how it behaves.

one quick question, will aria2 eventually support the udp:// tracker protocol. they show up in trackers occasionally. i know BitTornado doesn't, but Ktorrent does have that feature.

thanks

• John Dipper
      John Dipper
      2009-04-25

just a quick update..

i tried a multi-file torrent with the --select-file option and it worked like a charm.

• tujikawa
      tujikawa
      2009-04-26

Thanks for reporting, I really appreciate these kind of feedback. I'll release 1.3.2 which includes this fix in a few days.

How popular is udp tracker? I once encountered it but not many. aria2 has DHT, so I think another central tracker is not necessary.

• John Dipper
      John Dipper
      2009-04-26

i sometimes see udp protocol in multi-tracker torrents, but usually not as the main trackers, just as auxilary. yes i don't think it is important to be bothered with it since aria2 already has DHT.

i just did my first test with concurrent torrent d'loads..

aria2c -j2 torrent1 torrent2

and it worked fine .. both completed and went into seeding mode with no problems. i did notice though that the DL rate seems to exceed the specified max-overall-download-limit. i can probably just reduce it a little more so it's not a big issue.

besides the bitfield.patch, will v1.3.2 have any other changes? if not it will save me recompiling again.

• tujikawa
      tujikawa
      2009-04-26

The biggest fix is this bittorrent.patch.
      I fixed several bugs in gzip (http download), which is rare and small performance optimizations.
      I always recommend to use latest version, but you already have the build which has the most annoying bug fixed, so there are no rush to recompile it again.