Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Not in GZIP format

Adam
2013-05-08
2013-05-16
  • Adam
    Adam
    2013-05-08

Areca has been killing me for 10 hours now.
    64 bit Centos 5.9 server died. I copied all Areca backup files from an external backup drive, including all config files, and put them on another 64 bit Centos 6.3 server. Installed Areca. Tried to import workspace from the areca_config_backup folder (where else would I import from??!). It created a workspace and loaded the config file, but did not load the archive files and displays this warning:

"The workspace you have opened contains backup copies of your configuration. You will be able to read your archives, but modifications will be impossible. Please open a new workspace and use the import feature".

I can't read my archives, and I frankly don't care about modifying my target file. I just want to recover the data! I tried the user manual suggestion of creating a dummy workspace and editing its config file to mimic the old config file and copying the archives into the new workspace. Doesn't work. Also tried using the "Tools" to unzip and decrypt the files manually. Doesn't work.
    ANY help appreciated. These archives were compressed and encrypted (AES 256).
    There are many Java errors in the log and terminal similar to below:

Caused by: com.myJava.util.xml.AdapterException: java.io.IOException: Not in GZIP format
    at com.application.areca.metadata.manifest.XMLManifestAdapter.read(XMLManifestAdapter.java:75)
    at com.application.areca.metadata.manifest.ManifestManager.readManifestForArchive(ManifestManager.java:54)
    ... 28 more
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: Not in GZIP format
    at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(GZIPInputStream.java:154)
    at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(GZIPInputStream.java:75)
    at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(GZIPInputStream.java:85)
    at com.application.areca.metadata.manifest.XMLManifestAdapter.read(XMLManifestAdapter.java:72)

Last edit: Adam 2013-05-08
  • Adam
    Adam
    2013-05-08

Minor update: I removed the areca_backup_config folder from the archives folder and put the config file soemwhere else, then created a new group and target by importing the config file from its new location. I no longer get the "Workspace you have opened contains backup copies" error and can edit the target. It also now shows the sources and all options identically to the original config file; previously it showed sources in the summary box as only "/".
    But, still no archives listed, and still many java errors. Here's a new one:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot open an OutputStream in 'append' mode on an encrypted FileSystem
    at com.myJava.file.driver.EncryptedFileSystemDriver.getFileOutputStream(EncryptedFileSystemDriver.java:336)
    at com.myJava.file.driver.event.EventFileSystemDriver.getFileOutputStream(EventFileSystemDriver.java:312)
    at com.myJava.file.driver.event.EventFileSystemDriver.getFileOutputStream(EventFileSystemDriver.java:321)
    at com.myJava.file.FileSystemManager.getFileOutputStream(FileSystemManager.java:456)
    at com.myJava.file.FileSystemManager.getWriter(FileSystemManager.java:479)
    at com.myJava.util.log.FileLogProcessor.log(FileLogProcessor.java:126)
    at com.myJava.util.log.Logger$LogConsumer.run(Logger.java:74)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

I hate to think the change from Centos 5.9 to 6.3 is all it takes to break Areca. Maybe there's some Java package missing?

• aventin
    aventin
    2013-05-14

As seen directly with Adam : he simply entered the wrong encryption key when trying to recover his archives - hence the recovery issues.
    Everything went fine with the correct encryption key.

• Adam
    Adam
    2013-05-16

Just a follow-up to confirm resolution. Was SURE I had the right key, of course, but alas...
    The developer was extremely responsive with suggestions and log review. I believe there are some minor areas where usability could be improved, and would have expedited resolution of my particular issue, and the developer expressed interest in addressing them.

Made a few adjustments to my particular configuration and will definitely continue using Areca as the primary component of my backup strategy.