Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Flash checksum fail?

Help
rhitchcock
2010-03-26
2013-06-05
  • rhitchcock
    rhitchcock
    2010-03-26

I just installed AppUpdater on a WinXP test system.  When I ran it, it updated Adobe Reader properly, but it keeps failing on Flash:**

The following packages will be upgraded (* = security update):
            Flash   9.0.124.0 => 10.0.45.2  3.7 MB
    1 upgrades, at least 3.7 MB to download.
    Downloading C:\temp\Flash-10.0.45.2.metalink

Downloading to C:\temp\install_flash_player_ax.exe.
    Checksum failed, retrying download of install_flash_player_ax.exe.
    0% 0.00/1.86 MB 0 kbps
    Could not download all segments of the file, trying one mirror at a time.
    100% 0.25/0.25 MB 1.41 Mbps
    Checksum failed for install_flash_player_ax.exe.

Downloading to C:\temp\install_flash_player.exe.
    Checksum failed, retrying download of install_flash_player.exe.
    0% 0.00/1.83 MB 0 kbps
    Could not download all segments of the file, trying one mirror at a time.
    100% 0.25/0.25 MB 1.52 Mbps
    Checksum failed for install_flash_player.exe.
    100% 0.25/0.25 MB 1.51 Mbps
    WARNING: Failed downloading of file C:\temp\Flash-10.0.45.2.metalink.
    Updating databas**e…

I tried moving the cache and temp directories so everything could be recreated, but it still doesn't work.  The two executables downloaded are each only 256KB.

If I manually enter the urls listed in the Flash-10.0.45.2.metalink file in my browser, I can save the full executables - 1.83 and 1.86MB

Any idea why the checksum failure when using AppUpdater?

Thanks!  Cool software, by the way.

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2010-03-26

Its working fine over here.  You may want to try restarting the program.

• rhitchcock
    rhitchcock
    2010-03-26

Which program do you mean?  The AppUpdater service is not running, so I'm just manually running the following command:

appupdater -update -upgrade -y

After the output above, I'm returned to my command prompt.  So I'm not sure what program is running and would need to be restarted?

Thanks!

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2010-03-26

Hmmm that should do it.  I was assuming you are using the GUI.  Maybe also try adding a -force in there.

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2010-03-26

You might also try a -clean to clear out the cache but I don't know why that would work.

• rhitchcock
    rhitchcock
    2010-03-26

Tried both, no luck.  I also disabled my antivirus software (Symantec Endpoint protection)in case it was interfering.  Still no luck.

I noticed something else strange.  I actually CAN'T start the AppUpdater service.  And all the Event Log tells me is that it timed out trying to connect.  I'm starting to suspect a botched install.

I'm going to uninstall, and re-install.  If that doesn't work, I'm going to uninstall, then uninstall Endpoint, and re-install AppUpdater.  I'll post my results.

• rhitchcock
    rhitchcock
    2010-03-26

Alright, stil no luck.  I completely uninstalled Appupdater, Endpoint, then did a fresh install of Appupdater.  Same problem.

It definitely works with other apps - I have Wireshark and Citrix ICA client on the same system, and after my re-install I forgot to add them to the Ignore list in the appupdater.ini.  Wireshark downloaded with no errors (didn't install, because there's no silent install, but definitely no problem downloading).  The Citrix ICA client failed with a checksum error, but I assume that's normal, since it's deprecated in your supported apps list?

So I'm not sure what to try next.  Any suggestions are welcome.  I'm gonna pack it in for the weekend and pick back up on Monday.  Thanks for your help so far!

• rhitchcock
    rhitchcock
    2010-03-29

Well, I'm just about out of ideas.  Would it be possible to try an older version of appupdater to see if I get the same results?

• rhitchcock
    rhitchcock
    2010-03-29

Well, that was a dumb question, previous versions are available right in the Files section… Anyway, I tried 1.3 and get the same issue.

I'm going to hunt down another workstation with an outdated Flash version to see if I can test on it.

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2010-03-29

It appears that adobe has changed the download file for some reason.  The file sizes and checksums don't match and thats why it was giving the error.  After installing the new release it still shows the same version number, 10.0.45.2.  So for Appupdater I'm making a new release called 10.0.45.2.1 that should fix everything.  I'll have it in the repository in a few minutes.

• rhitchcock
    rhitchcock
    2010-04-05

Hey, I think that definitely helped!  Flash appears to have upgraded.  Nice work, thank you!

This is kind of funky: When I do an appupdater -list I see the following:

Acrobat Reader           9.3
    Appupdater               1.3.1
    Flash                    10.0.45.2.1
    Flash                    9.0.124.0
    GnuPG                    1.4.10.b
    RealVNC                  4.1.2

Is it normal for both the old and new Flash version to be listed?  Is that just some leftover junk in the registry, maybe?  If I do an appupdater -update -upgrade -y it doesn't find any available upgrades, and obviously the newest Flash is now listed.  Weird, eh?

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2010-04-05

Actually seeing multiple versions of a product is rather common, especially in the case of something like Flash.  If the installer doesn't remove the old files and they are still there, Appupdater still finds them.  Sometimes they also appear in the system restore files, in which case it will disappear eventually.  Sometimes an application with include its own version of some utility/dll files.  Appupdater is a good example of this, it includes a copy of the latest Python.  These "shadow" applications might not even appear in the registry depending on the installer.  I think it is important to list these "shadow" applications because they may represent a security vulnerability still present on the system.