Not overly impressed.

2008-08-31
2013-06-05
  • Mark Gillespie
    Mark Gillespie
    2008-08-31

This app could be so good, however a updater is only as good as the data it contains.  It's depressing to see it so out of date and buggy.

For example:

1/ It does not detect a Opera installtion that is installed outside %Program Files% (even if you add the path to the options).

2/ Even if it did find it, the version it reports as latest is woefully out of date. (9.25), latest is 9.52.

Sorry...  A updater needs to be UPTO DATE...  That is the whole point...

• nabber00
      nabber00
      2008-09-02

1. Only "known versions" can be detected.  You are probably running an unknown version of Opera at this point (see #2).  Unknown versions are generally reported to me for future inclusion.

2.  It is extremely difficult to stay up to date on about 50 apps, especially ones that I don't all use.  Some have mailing lists I can subscribe to in order to find out about new releases, many don't.  So basically, I need help in keeping things up to date.  There are many options you have for apps that might get missed:

A. I encourage you to report out of date versions, preferably as a bug.

B. If you have a particular app you are interested in, I am happy to help you setup a repository and include it with Appupdater for others to use.

C. Point me at some sort of email list when updates are announced.

D. Just run Appupdater so that it will report unknown versions to me.  Honestly, I haven't had a chance to look at this data in a while.  Also it doesn't work with all programs.

• On the subject of trying to stay up to date with new releases, you could use the Freshmeat service.  There, you "subscribe" to applications.  Then, when the owner of the application notifies Freshmeat of the new version, you'll receive an email of the application's update.

• nabber00
        nabber00
        2008-10-20

Thanks, I've subscribed to various apps on freshmeat now too.

• MAD_JIHAD
    MAD_JIHAD
    2012-04-14

2. It is extremely difficult to stay up to date on about 50 apps, especially ones that I don't all use. Some have mailing lists I can subscribe to in order to find out about new releases, many don't. So basically, I need help in keeping things up to date. There are many options you have for apps that might get missed:

This is why all in one updaters have failed in the past on windows and will continue to fail. It requires the developers of all these apps to willingly support this service by notifying the repository of updates or having their own repo or submitting to a large repo etc etc. Relying on a few developers or a small community to provide update details is not sustainable.

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2012-04-26

Actually in the past few years since this thread was started I've made great strides in automating the packaging process.  It does not require the developers to support Appupdater.  For each application I can create an initial configuration that crawls the webpage, grabs the latest version number and installer, extract the necessary information and publish a package.  While this doesn't work for everything, I've got 25 applications working this way.  Some examples include the aforementioned Opera, Firefox, iTunes, OpenOffice.org, and CCleaner just to name a few.  Right now I'm only running into difficulties if an odd installer is used where I can't extract the needed data or the complete version number isn't published on a website.