Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

change the default installation dest?

2008-06-21
2013-06-05
  • Hello all,

I have a non-standard windows installation in that a majority of my applications are installed on d:/ (eg: "d:/OpenOffice.org 2.4", etc).  I've noticed that AppUpdater installs applications into their default destination locations (ie: "c:\Program Files\").  Is there a way to configure AppUpdater to install all applications under a different location?

Thanks.

JDG

• nabber00
      nabber00
      2008-06-21

This is usually a function of how the installer operates.  In rare cases, the installer will accept a path at the command line, but this isn't usually the case so Appupdater doesn't support it.

1. You most likely want to turn off the auto-install option since you will likely end up with things back in c:\program files\ if you leave that turned on.

2. My own recommendation for anyone that doesn't want to use any of the default install settings is that you use the manual install option to take you through the wizard.

or

I haven't tried this at all, but you should set your environment variable PROGRAMFILES variable to D:\ or wherever you want your programs installed.  My guess is about 90% of the installers will recognize this and install where you want, but you will still have a few with hardcoded "Program Files."  WARNING:  This is supposed to work, but may seriously cripple your system and make it unusable.