Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

1.5 causes kernel panic

Bob Page
2008-09-16
2012-10-09
  • Bob Page
    Bob Page
    2008-09-16

I did an applejack auto on my MacBook. All appeared OK until I rebooted. The kernel panics with the grey "you need to reboot" screen. I can boot in Safe mode, and can use single user mode, just can't boot normally. I reset PRAM, that didn't help.

What file did I bork? Looking at the logs in /var/log I don't see anything obvious in either the applejack log or the system log.

• Bob Page
      Bob Page
      2008-09-16

I didn't figure out the specific issue that was causing the panics, but I did an 10.5 archive & install followed by a combo updater and the machine is back to booting again. All this happened on 10.5.5 BTW.

• Thanks for your report. There is a bug filed on kernel panics here:
        https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2089430&group_id=79562&atid=557034

Some users of Leopard are having this same issue. We are not sure of the cause as we have been unable to reproduce the problem. Would love to get our hands on a system that is experiencing the issue. But alas.

However, we did see one thing that might be related... Have you had LittleSnitch installed on your machine? Do you have /System/Library/Extensions/LittleSnitch.kext on your machine? If you move/remove it, does that resolve the problem?

Please post any follow up to the bug linked above. Thanks.

Thanks.