Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Am I in trouble?

2008-02-04
2012-10-09
  • Bill Williams
    Bill Williams
    2008-02-04

Hi Kristofer (and a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!)

Here is a transcription of what an AppleJack run shows in the "Repair Permissions" section (I'm pretty sure it is correct -- I keyed it into TextEdit on our G3 iBook from the screen... wish there was a way to make this kind of thing show in Console...):

Your choice (Just hit return to quit): 2
    Permissions repair...
    Let's mount the startup file system for write access...
    /dev/disk1s9 on / (local)
    Done.

Checking for /tmp directory: /tmp directory exists.
    Done.
    Configuring minimal Tiger services...
    Mounting local filesystems
    \mach.sym
    Configuring kernel extensions for safe boot
    Jettisoning kernel linker.
    Feb 2 16:00:54 kextd[106]:registering service "com.apple.KernelExtensionServer"
    Resetting IOCatalogue.
    Feb 2 16:00:54 kextd[106]:0 cached, 229 uncached personalities to catalog
    Matching service count = 2
    Matching service count = 1
    NVDANV10HAL loaded and registered.
    Loading basic launchd services...
    UniNEnet: Ethernet address 00:03:93:5a:c9:46
    Feb 2 16:01:02 com.apple.SecurityServer: Entering service
    Feb 2 16:01:03 launchd: Server 330b in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[155]: exited abnormally: Hangup
    UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 100 Mbps - Full Duplex
    Feb 2 16:01:08 launchd: Server 3313 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[176]: exited abnormally: Hangup
    Done. -0-

Repairing permissions (This takes time. Please wait.):
    +...............Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk1s9 Seagate 127
    Determining correct file permissions.
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
    Verify/repair finished permissions on disk disk1s9 Seagate 127
    Permissions have been repaired. -0-

I have no idea what this means, or what I should do. When I attempted to "wake" this QuickSilver G4 yesterday by hitting a key it didn't... and then I realized that I could see the arrow cursor surrounded by a white outline. I force-quit, ran AppleJack AUTO and got this but didn't have a chance to transcribe it), restarted and ran TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior, restarted and tried "sleeping" it, and the same thing happened. So I ran AppleJack again in "interactive" mode to let me get the error messages right.

Selah!
    BWms

• Bill Williams
      Bill Williams
      2008-02-04

Hi Kristofer,

I had no idea you were lurking and would reply so quickly. Many thanks! And sorry for not including that the problem was on a G4 QuickSilver PPC Mac, 1.5GB RAM, 733MHz, 10.4.11.

>>Bill, everything looks perfectly normal to me.

Really? Just for informational purposes, exactly what =are= "uncached personalities", and how do they come to be?

>>The problem with not waking from sleep might not have anything to do with the health >>of your hard drive or your permissions. Finding out why it's not waking up is a >>whole other can of worms. Try macosxhints or the Apple support forums.

I really didn't think so, but was engaging in "flailing around" to relieve stress (aka running in circles, screaming and shouting).(g)

Interestingly enough, I'm beginning to think that there are several unrelated "hinkups" (as our son used to say) going on. After I captured the AJ report text on the iBook I attempted to transfer it to the G4 via Airport on our LAN, and the iBook reports "can't find a PPOE server" and can't raise the Netgear router. Then when I attempted to connect the iBook via FireWire Target Mode it didn't show up on the G4 desktop (but, using the same cable, neither did the 40 GB LaCie external drive -- maybe a bum cable, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet).

Ah, well... I guess life wouldn't be interesting if there weren't problems to solve...

Thanks again for the prompt (and encouraging) response.

Selah!
      BWms

• Bill, everything looks perfectly normal to me. The problem with not waking from sleep might not have anything to do with the health of your hard drive or your permissions. Finding out why it's not waking up is a whole other can of worms. Try macosxhints or the Apple support forums. Thanks.