How to Update MEMTEST

2008-11-03
2012-10-09
  • Arthur Carter
    Arthur Carter
    2008-11-03

Can someone tell me the proper way to update MEMTEST? I'm using Applejack v.1.5 which includes MEMTEST v.4.12. The current version of MEMTEST is v.4.22.

• Al Varnell
      Al Varnell
      2009-01-11

What I have done is to download "rember" v0.3.4b from
      <http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/> which contains memtest v4.2. I copied that version to /usr/local/sbin/ and AJ runs it just fine. Not the latest version, but still newer than what AJ currently has and it's a free download.

-Al-

• Peter M. Fine
      Peter M. Fine
      2008-11-03

I am not sure but I would think if you just downloaded the current version and install it in same place and make sure files have same name as the old version, you should be ok. The download cost is something like $1.50 or less.

-Peter

• Arthur Carter
        Arthur Carter
        2008-11-03

Thanks. That's my assumption too. And that would be really easy if I was just replaced MEMTEST as a standard application in my application folder. However, Applejack installs MEMTEST way down in the OS in 3 locations. I want to be sure I understand what I am doing BEFORE doing it.

• AppleJack only installs memtest in one location (if you have chosen to install it), which is /usr/local/sbin/memtest. However, AppleJack will search for it in three different locations, and use the location that is valid.

However, if you want to use AppleJack with memtest, you should be aware that since the memtest developer occasionally changes the command line parameters for the program, there is no guarantee that the AppleJack-based commands will work correctly since AppleJack can't know which version of memtest you are using, and can't guess which command line params to send.

The AppleJack developer ships one version of memtest with AppleJack that has been been tested to work with the parameters being sent by the script. it would be a maintenance and support nightmare to do otherwise.

If you don't plan on using the AppleJack interface for the memtest application (which after all is just a front-end for the basic memtest test suite and you may very well prefer to customize what and how you are testing your memory), there is nothing to keep you from installing your own version wherever you like, and using it.

• Arthur Carter
      Arthur Carter
      2008-11-03

That's helpful. I was intending to use Applejack to run Memtest. However, I think I understand your point. It sounds like you are suggesting that the most reliable way to run the current version of Memtest is to download it and run it independently of Applejack.

If that is the accurate, I'm curious as to why you included it in Applejack. You must have known that it would be routinely updated for bugs and other improvements.

• Arthur Carter
      Arthur Carter
      2008-11-03

Just to again try to clarify my question, when you say "install" memtest, do you actually mean replace the file called "memtest" at the location: /usr/local/sbin/memtest ?