Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Normalizing of Variations

2007-02-19
2013-04-25
  • hello, by now there is a huge list of variation parameters, it would be nice if there was a button 'normalize' or 'reset'

because to big value changes often causes more trouble than fun ;)

• Piotr Borys
      Piotr Borys
      2007-02-19

Hi,
      Generally you're right. The problem is, there is no "standard" params values... most of them are just random. Observe how they're changing between flames. So - to what value would they being changed? Initial? Hmm. So we should save them first...
      I'll take this into account, but right now I can't see any solution for this.

cheers, Peter.

• yes, but normalizing would be great or ?

i think default could either be a pre-saved setting for the variations or simply

linear 1, all other zero

another thing i am thinking of is, the parameters look quite messy, i mean there are so many of them, couldn't we hide such parameter values which are currently not in use ? ( e.g. variation has value of NULL

beside of that i am thinking about a variation editor, too bad i do not have delphi here, i would like to add a super formula editor, so that one could see how the shape really looks like

greets
      ck

• Piotr Borys
        Piotr Borys
        2007-02-19

Hey..... so you are talking about variation values!.... I thought you were talking about variation parameters. Well, in that case, it won't be difficult to make it :)
        cheers, Peter.

• yes, sorry for misunderstanding, yes,  i mean the variation values, these should ideally sum up to 1 !

ok, it can be quite funny with big values, but if they do not really summ up to 1 we get an extraction, not an contraction ( the parameters simply explode ) so, sometimes when starting a new set, i would like to have a normalize button,

e.g. linear is 1 by default

so , when i set the ring variation to 1, they should be both weighted 0.5 instead of 1

or can u tell if apophysis normalizes them internally ? but i do not think so

greatest
      greets
      ck

• Piotr Borys
        Piotr Borys
        2007-02-19

No it doesn't :) and it won't be doing that internally. But adding a button for this function would be nice :)

• Peter Sdobnov
        Peter Sdobnov
        2007-03-08

>>> "i mean the variation values, these should ideally sum up to 1 !"

They SHOULD NOT do this at all.