frame disposal

Main Forum
Xarlith
2011-10-09
2013-05-23
  • Xarlith
    Xarlith
    2011-10-09

Is there any option to disable frame disposal? When assembling transparent frames the previous one becomes invisible which is not desired when it comes to optimalisation.

• Max Stepin
    Max Stepin
    2011-10-09

Can you send me the example, so I can take a look?

• Xarlith
    Xarlith
    2011-10-10

Sure. Take look at it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Is Rapidshare ok?

• Max Stepin
    Max Stepin
    2011-10-10

APNG Assembler works differently from most other programs. Other programs (APNG Edit started it, and others followed) expect you do set dispose and blend flags manually, and also find the area that changes between frames, and mask unchanged pixels with transparency, and crop that area, all manually.

I think it doesn't make sense to do so much manual optimization work, when computers could to it.

That's how APNG Assembler works, it only asks you for a set of final (full) frames of the animation, and then it will do all the dirty work: it will choose appropriate dispose and blend flags for each frame automatically, it will mask unchanged pixels with transparency automatically, it will crop subframes automatically.

So your "without transparency" folder is the only right way to do use APNG Assembler, the result is correct, and filesize is the smallest.

• Thank you for reply.
    In my example smallest filesize is without transparency but as you know it depends on how many static animation is in file. If the background wasn't plain colour apng with transparency would be much smaller than without.

As APNG Assembler is a command line program it should provide as much advanced options as possible. Its just my idea. You can do something more or just stick to that what you have done already.

• Max Stepin
    Max Stepin
    2011-10-10

In case of little change between frames, APNG Assembler will generate transparency automatically, and will crop the changed area automatically. It will test all dispose/blend combinations for every frame, and will choose the values that result in the smallest filesize. I don't see the need to tweak those values manually, since such tweaking will almost certainly increase the filesize.

• I had no idea about that. If this is how it works I have no questions.