The first version of VMD's APBS Plugin is finally ready for release. The
following changes have been made since I first announced the plugin to
* Clearer and more compact GUI.
* Killing APBS jobs from the GUI.
* Better handling of APBS errors.
* Validating input before running APBS.
* Automatic loading of output maps upon APBS job completion (select the
maps to load from a pop-up window).
* Warning user before starting APBS with an uncharged molecule.
* New "solvent accessibility" default job (uses mg-dummy).
* Misc. bug fixes.
I'd like to thank everyone who downloaded the last version and offered
input. All are encouraged to update to this latest version. Once again,
the plugin has been confirmed to work with VMD > 1.8.1 on Windows, Mac
OSX, Linux, and SunOS, and should work on all platforms supported by
these versions of VMD.
A gzipped tar file of the plugin can be downloaded from
To install, download the file and unpack it to
<vmddir>/plugins/noarch/tcl, replacing <vmddir> with the location of the
local vmd install (typically /usr/local/lib/vmd). Further instructions
can be found in the README file included in the archive.