Harald G
2011-04-23
2013-06-05
  • Harald G

Harald G - 2011-05-08

309?

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2011-05-09

Hmph.  It's all your fault, giving me ideas.

Peter

• Harald G

Harald G - 2011-05-09

Don't blame me!
    In fact it's due to AoI addiction maybe-
    309 looks very cool! Troy showed  some pics…

• Nokiai

Nokiai - 2011-06-08

How about this http://www.jcuda.org/ ? I am not much into programming, but wouldn't it allow to use the power of nvidia hardware?

• Runnerblood

Runnerblood - 2011-06-27

How about http://www.jocl.org/ ?

I see just advantages in using it:
    - It's on both ATI and nVidia (yes, openCL is on both ATI and nVidia, unlike CUDA)
    - Fast processing, already translated in java.

So why shouldn't we dream of a exclusive GPU path-tracing renderer? :>

• Nik Trevallyn-Jones

We all dream of real-time ray-tracing; it's just how that dream may be realised that differs.

Having had a quick look at the jocl page, I found the contained link to this idea *very* interesting:

http://developer.amd.com/zones/java/aparapi/Pages/default.aspx

Cheers!
    Nik

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2011-06-27

Having had a quick look at the jocl page, I found the contained link to this idea *very* interesting:

It looks like a cute idea, but pretty limited in practice.  Take a look at their list of restrictions.  You'll notice, for example:

Only the java primitive data types boolean, byte, short, int, long and float and one-dimensional arrays of these primitive data types are supported.  Java Objects (including Strings) are not supported.

Or this one:

Recursion is not supported, whether direct or indirect.

As you can see, this isn't a way of turning "ordinary" Java code into GPU code.  It's a specialized API for programming GPUs that just happens to look a lot like Java.  But it's also a lot more limited than just programming in OpenCL or CUDA, both of which are fine with recursion and support structs as well as primitive types.

A lot of work has been done on how to raytrace efficiently with a GPU.  It would certainly be possible to write a GPU accelerated raytracer for AoI, but it's not something I have any plans to do right now.  It would be a very big project, and I have too many other things I'm working on already.  On the other hand, I do plan to continuing developing the existing OpenGL renderer.  It won't be as nice as a raytracer, of course, but it will make a great interactive renderer.

Peter

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-08-12

If this happens I'll get away from lux-render finally . . . .

The open cl enabled version with cpu+gpu hybrid on my laptop and its amazingly fast for an unbiased renderer.

lets see if they do something similar.

~truth