Carl
2011-09-26
2013-06-05
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Carl
    Carl
    2011-09-26

Yes, it's me, "Mr. Questions" again.

I'm using AoI under Windows XP. When I try to update the list of plugins/scripts in the Scripts and Plugins Manager (version 1.9), I receive a dialog titled "Error: Connection timed out: connect" with the following in the message area: http://aoisp.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/scripts.cgi?Scripts/Tools/%202.8: Error connecting to web server".

I typed that URL into the IE8 address bar, and got what looks like a valid XML file. So why can't AoI download that very same file? Is there any way I can manually import the file since AoI can't get it?

• Carl
    Carl
    2011-09-26

OK following up from my Debian box.

Doesn't work here either. Identical error message. In addition, the starting terminal displays a Java error which I reproduce below:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at sun.awt.X11.XWindowPeer.restoreTransientFor(XWindowPeer.java:1682)
        at sun.awt.X11.XWindowPeer.removeFromTransientFors(XWindowPeer.java:1748)
        at sun.awt.X11.XWindowPeer.setModalBlocked(XWindowPeer.java:1470)
        at sun.awt.X11.XWindowPeer.setModalBlocked(XWindowPeer.java:1441)
        at java.awt.Window.setModalBlocked(Window.java:1359)
        at java.awt.Dialog.unblockWindow(Dialog.java:1597)
        at java.awt.Dialog.modalHide(Dialog.java:1483)
        at java.awt.Dialog.hideAndDisposePreHandler(Dialog.java:1215)
        at java.awt.Dialog.hide(Dialog.java:1255)
        at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1553)
        at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1503)
        at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Window.java:881)
        at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Dialog.java:1011)
        at javax.swing.JDialog.processWindowEvent(JDialog.java:649)
        at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Window.java:1862)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4629)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2103)
        at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2517)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4455)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:649)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:96)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:608)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:606)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:105)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:116)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:622)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:620)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:105)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:619)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:194)
        at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:1072)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:226)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:647)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:96)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:608)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:606)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:116)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:622)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:620)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:619)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
    com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.invalidByte(UTF8Reader.java:687)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(UTF8Reader.java:557)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(XMLEntityScanner.java:1719)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.arrangeCapacity(XMLEntityScanner.java:1596)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.skipString(XMLEntityScanner.java:1634)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLVersionDetector.determineDocVersion(XMLVersionDetector.java:196)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:783)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:748)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:123)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:239)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:288)
        at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(DocumentBuilder.java:121)
        at artofillusion.spmanager.HttpSPMFileSystem.scanFiles(HttpSPMFileSystem.java:491)
        at artofillusion.spmanager.HttpSPMFileSystem.scanStartupScripts(HttpSPMFileSystem.java:294)
        at artofillusion.spmanager.HttpSPMFileSystem.access$300(HttpSPMFileSystem.java:44)
        at artofillusion.spmanager.HttpSPMFileSystem$1.run(HttpSPMFileSystem.java:124)

I hope that's helpful. It's weird that on two different systems running two different operating systems I cannot install plugins, while it apparently works great for everyone else. What am I doing differently?

Forgot to mention in previous message: I'm running version 2.8.1 under Debian Testing (Wheezy), kernel 3.0.0-1, Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0_23. Under Windows, same AoI version, Java 1.6.0_16, WIndows XP 5.1 (SP3).

• Bill French
    Bill French
    2011-09-26

Carl - it does NOT work great for everyone else - the repository is quitw finicky at times !!!!!  All you can do is keep trying, and make sure you are  looking  at the "install tab" in SPmanager. Also check that the "setup" tab is routing you to the proper repository. Good luck..

---> Bill

• Carl
    Carl
    2011-09-26

The repo is not finicky at all. If you open it in a browser it works every time. it has to be a bug in AoI, but I'm not enough of a Java programmer to find it right now.

• Carl
    Carl
    2011-09-26

OK, 20 attempts to update the Scripts and Plugins Manager on two systems running two operating systems later: is there any way at all to just manually download the .bsh scripts rather than use the Manager? Because that just isn't working.

• Hi Carl (and everyone else) :o)

Firstly, if to Carl's initial issue: If you can access the repo successfully using a browser, but time out when trying with AOI, then the most likely cause is a proxy between you and the internet.

The AOI SPManager does support proxy access - using the features built into Java - which are not, apparently, compatible with all proxies.

Step 1. see if you are accessing the web through a proxy: check your internet or browser settings to see if it is configured to use a proxy

Step 2: try to configure SPManager to use that same proxy

Step 3: test.

There are some people who have not been able to get access through their proxy, regardless of the settings they use.
    I have not been able to find a solution in the code for them and their particular proxies.

Is there some way to download plugins manually?

Yes. The generic way is to go to the AOISP SourceForge project homepage, and select the "Browse Repository" link:

http://aoisp.sf.net

A direct link to that is here: http://aoisp.sourceforge.net/AoIRepository/

Cheers!
    Nik

• Carl
    Carl
    2011-09-27

Nik,

Good answer as usual. I was just looking here because I had discovered that at home, my work laptop (the XP machine) could easily download plugins and tools. Your diagnosis appears correct. May I humbly suggest putting language in the Scripts & Plugins Manager itself explaining the problem?

Interestingly, I also can't download scripts or plugins over my netbook's cellular (T-Mobile USA) connection. Any way I can help you diagnose the reason?

Carl

• In response to the comments by others that the repository is finnicky here is my experience (I maintain the SPManager plugin, and so test it fairly frequently):

In the early days of SPManager, the SF repot was decidedly finnicky.
    That was more than 3 year ago. A combination of improved error handling and retry within SPManager code, and improved SF server throughput has made that a thing of the past.

More recently, a particular SF upgrade made a piece of code in the SPManager server component fail, resulting in "flakey" results. That has been resolved, and since then I've not seen any unreliable behaviour.

So I am not aware of any issues that would cause the SPManager system to be unpredictable.
    Either AOI can access the server, in which case it works, or it cannot access the server, in which case it fails.

However, I am always open to receiving reports of any problem with SPManager or the servers it connects to.

Cheers!
    Nik

• My apologies - I am subject to interruptions at the moment (teaching a course)

I meant to include 2 other pieces of information in my earlier post:

1. On Windows, your proxy setting *may* be in the global "Internet Settings" area (see the control panel), *or* it may be in the browser itself (eg Firefox).

2. The proxy settings in SPManager are under the "Setup…" button on the SPManager front panel.

Cheers!
    Nik

• Hi Carl,

Great to get an answer back from you.

Regarding diagnosing proxy issues, I would happily send you either instructions for gathering logging information, or (probably) a modified SMPanager JAR file with extended logging of the HTTP conversation.

Armed with the logging output, I would try to put code into SPManager that handled that particular proxy conversation correctly although there is no guarantee that we would be successful :o(

Cheers!
    Nik

• May I humbly suggest putting language in the Scripts & Plugins Manager itself explaining the problem?

That a really good and not-so-humble suggestion.

I'll enhance the error message when SPManager times out, suggesting that a proxy may be the cause.

Thanks for the suggestion - I've ben looking for an excuse go into with the SPManager code again ;o)

Cheers!
    Nik

• Andres Angel
    Andres Angel
    2011-10-28

Good day to everyone:
    Sorry to get involved in this.
    I need help downloading the plugins and scripts.
    I always get the error that the files cannot be downloaded or copied.

Any ideas.

I'm runing windows 7 home basic.

Cheers,

Andrés

PD: I don't know anything about JAVA language

• Peter Eastman
    Peter Eastman
    2011-10-29

If you're running Windows 7, it's likely a permissions issue.  It's a lot stricter than XP about what directories a program can write to without administrator access.  Try installing AoI inside your home directory instead of in Program Files.

Peter

• Carl
    Carl
    2011-10-31

Just commenting on Peter Eastman's message 13: one of the best things about AoI for me is that you don't need to be an administrator to install it, either under Windows or Linux. As long as you have a JRE, you can put the files anywhere and it Just Works.

Thank you, Peter.

• Andres Angel
    Andres Angel
    2011-11-08

Dear Peter:

Thanks for your answer.

It worked. I move AoI to my user folder and it dowloaded all the plugins and script. Without any problem

Just one more question.
    How do I save a file to be STL format

Cheers,

Andrés

• Hi Andrés,

How do I save a file to be STL format

A bit off topic, but: "File | Export | STL"

If there is no STL option in the "File | Export" menu, then you need to install the STL plugin first.

Cheers!
    Nik

• tsamm
    tsamm
    2012-11-25

Hi, I had the same problems on a Debian machine. Definitely no proxies involved, here. You can configure proxy settings with the Java6-Plugin and Policy-Tool, by the way. My first thought was "permissions" because I had installed AoI to /usr/local - but running the updater with root permissions did not help.
    What I did was: mirroring the repo server to localhost

cd /var/www
    wget -r http://aoisp.sourceforge.net/  
    chown -R www-data /var/www/aoisp
    ln -s /var/www/aoisp/AoIRepository/ /var/www/AoIRepository
    ln -s /var/www/aoisp/AoIRepository/Plugins /var/www/Plugins
    ln -s /var/www/aoisp/AoIRepository/Scripts /var/www/Scripts

nasty hack, but worked and helped to exclude proxy settings as well as permissions from the list of reasons, Seems to be some server-sided issue to me.

• Hi Tsamm,

The previous message was over a year old - so I don't know if you experienced your problems back then, or more recently.

I have just checked access to the AOI repository through SPManager, and it is working for my machine/internet-connection combination (YMMV).

I would certainly appreciate it if you could test if SPManager is working for you now; and report back any errors you get.

Cheers!
    Nik

• markuni
    markuni
    2012-12-03

I have been using AOL on a Mac for about a month.  I can not get plugin and scripts through the scripts and plugin manager to down load.  I scan for plugins and nothing shows up in the window to select.  I have been searching on the internet and haven't found any recent information on AOL or tutorials.  Is this even a currently used program?  Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

• Hi Mark,

1. This is one part of the SPManager UI which can confuse users: Once you have scanned for new plugins and scripts, you need to "open" the "Plugins" and the "Scripts" entries in the tree view - they don't open automatically.
    To open them, click on them, or the icon next to them. On my machine, the triangle goes from pointing right (closed) to pointing down (open).

2. The next most likely problem is that your computers are accessing the internet through a web proxy, and AOI is not able to get through the proxy.

The SPManager has a "Setup…" button which allows you to set your proxy parameters.

A word of warning though: Java's support for proxies is know to be incompatible with a number of proxies - whether it is a fault in Java, the Proxies, or the proxy standards, I don't actually know.

There are some users who have never managed to get SPManager to access the plugin repository through their employer's proxy, and others who have had no problems whatsoever.

If you can't get SPManager to connect through your proxy, then all is not lost.
    You simply access the repository using a browser, download the plugins you want, and then copy them into the correct location in the AOI Plugins folder.

I have been meaning to put an option into SPManager to handle manually-downloaded plugins in a more automatic way, but I put that on hold because SPManager was going to be replaced with a more encompassing "Librarian" module.

3. Yes, AOI is definitely a currently used program. :o)
    Sadly, the SourceForge forums are not the most "user-friendly", so there is an additional forum which is more popular with the users, leaving these SourceForge frums more to the developers :o)

Try going over to http://www.friendlyskies.net/aoiforum/ and say hello to the folks over there as well :o)

I hope you do get AOI working for you, as it is probably ideal for teaching.

Kind Regards,
    Nik

PS: I had an email bounce today when I replied to an SF email address.

• markuni
    markuni
    2012-12-03

Nik, thanks so much I was able to download the plugins.

Mark

• pencilart
    pencilart
    2013-03-04

I am having problems connecting to the plugins server also on an HP Windows 8 laptop. No proxies here.
    I did have the same trouble on my Windows 7 desktop, but finally one day, the server worked.
    I'm kinda disappointed about the server because I waited all week-end to do the plugins downloads for my new installation of AOI on this computer only to find out that the plugins server won't work for me (I work week-ends).

When we try using the browser method, could there be a "download them all" button or link so that we won't have to download each of them one at a time? It's rather time consuming.

• Hi Folks,

I've just tested, and it seems there is a new problem here.

I can't point fingers yet, but it *looks* like a change at SourceForge has bitten us.

I will do some further testing, and I may have to talk with SF support once more.

Can others please let me know whether they are able to successfully scan or download plugins?

Cheers!
    Nik

• Luke S
    Luke S
    2013-03-05

I can't.

AOI 2.9.2, WIN 7 PRO, Java 7 64 bit.

I get a (very quick) status message:

Waiting for response from server

But no plugins show.

Then I get an error box. Window Title says:

Error: invalid byte 1 of 1 byte UTF-8 sequence

Contents have the URL for one of the script folders, then:

Error connecting to the web server

This repeats for each of the script folders. (Tool, Object, Startup)

(Just checked my stderr - full name of  exception:

com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException

)

On thought based on a very quick look at the source:
    each scan of a script folder takes place inside a

if (!unknownhost)

conditional, so at least part of the plugin thinks that it has found the server?

ljsails

• Ok folks,

I have loaded an updated SPManager plugin into the repository.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the problem, this is one of the rare cases where SPManager cannot update itself. :o(

So the simple procedure is to download the plugin JAR file using you browser, from here:

http://aoisp.sourceforge.net/AoIRepository/Plugins/SPManager/SPManager-2_7.jar

and then copy that file into the Plugins folder of your ArtOfIllusion installation folder.
    **Important** You *MUST* change the name of the jar from SPManager-2_7.jar  to SPManager.jar

APologies fr the problem - it was caused by a combination of changed behaviour of the SF Web servers, and some inactive code in SPManager.

Post back if you have any problems.

Cheers!
    Nik

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)