Art of Illusion 2.9.1 beta

2011-12-28
2013-06-05
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • pencilart
    pencilart
    2011-12-28

Nice so far! No problem here on Linux (SuSE 11.4) with the install.

>>Java Media Framework is no longer required (or used) for saving Quicktime movies.<<
    So, does this mean that I can now render my horse movie without having to install JMF? If so, that's cool! I've been wanting that!

Can there be an option (or a script - check/uncheckbox) to keep the grid on *permanently*? I like to have the grid all the time (as can be done with the direction arrows) but I know that some designers don't like that.

• pencilart
    pencilart
    2011-12-28

>>Java Media Framework is no longer required (or used) for saving Quicktime movies.<<

ok, I just tried it out with the horse scene but I didn't see any option for making a quicktime movie, just for .jpg, .png and formats like that, which would give me over 30 picture files to deal with.

So maybe JMF is necessary for rendering Quicktime movies? Or is there some kind of plugin that I don't have?

• Peter Eastman
    Peter Eastman
    2011-12-28

Oops!  I removed all use of JMF, but forgot to remove the place where it checks to see if JMF is installed and removes the Quicktime option from the menu if it isn't.

I've just uploaded a new version that fixes that problem.

Peter

• Harald G
    Harald G
    2011-12-29

Wow!
    Easier access to QT movies is just good. Even if I we*re telling everybody usually to render to single pics and convert to video later - sometimes you're in a hurry and then the possibility is quite welcome.

On the "not so good" side:
    Here the installation keeps stopping a stage 7 like before. (Win Version)
    It might not help to say it over and over - but I suggest looking for another installer - at least for the windows version!
    I do prefer a simple unzip over the current installer by far - even a not so well educated person could drag the link to the desktop - no need to let an/the installer do that. Since we found out that the difference between 2.8.1 and 2.9 is the installer and 2.8.1 still can be installed without any hassles on most computers with XP Vista and Win7 - even on my 64 bit one,- I can only blame the installer and suggest to exchange it.

Another issue:
    I install with JOGL but can't choose it (marked, but grayed out) until I exchange the "Art of Illusion.exe" from the 2.8.1 installation (it's a little bit smaller then the one provided with the 2.9 series).
    Easy cure: Can we take the older EXE here? (What is the difference)

On a personal misunderstanding side:

It took a while for me to see that SVG can be transparent for AoI without telling so.
    Now that I know, I can easily put a white square in the back and everything is fine regarding the colors.
    Funny.

Translating is a lot of work (I'll try to get my feet wet by doing the hourglass) - but it's a lot more writing new or from scratch - so I need to say "Wonderful Peter!"
    You put a lot of time into AoI and now even more into the documentation.

And I can see that the "old" help pages that are for example available in English and in German language are outdated.
    Getting Started (still) tell people the use of template images.
    Though it's possible it doens't makes to much sense when a reference image plane is available as standard.
    And that is still in the manual - it could and should stay there, but there has to be an "addon" referring to RIPs.

Please keep up the excellent work Peter!

Harald

• Kevin D.
    Kevin D.
    2011-12-29

The installer worked perfectly for me on Win7 x64. 

I did come across a strange glitch that I have never seen before.  In the 3d view of the main AOI window, the view would stop updating when I zoomed out a certain amount.  The bottom half of the view was frozen while the top half of the view was still active.  I only experienced it once, so I will experiment a bit and report back later.

• Peter Eastman
    Peter Eastman
    2011-12-30

I'm working on changing the installer so JOGL will work on 64 bit Windows.  A question: is there still any reason to make the JOGL install optional?  Is it still enough of a source of problems that we shouldn't just always install it?

Peter

• Luke S
    Luke S
    2011-12-30

Hi, I'm a somewhat casual user, but having a lot of fun with aoi.

Just a user's perspective on JOGL - as of 2.9, enabling jogl still causes views to blow up on my machine. (weird off centering, etc. Corrects itself when you click on the view, but still.)

Also, it seems to slow down view update response, so I currently would have no use for it, period.

For reference: I use Windows vista, 32 bit
    2 cores @ 2.1GHZ
    aoi has 1.5GB ram to work with. I don't really know how this compares to what others model with.
    I do realize that others' mileage may vary, just hope that the info is useful.

I haven't gotten a change to download 2.9.1b, but did notice something odd in the 2.9 release involving procedural editor for textures/materials. (details are in bug reports)

Thanks for the effort that goes into this program.
    ljs

• BURGINABC
    BURGINABC
    2011-12-31

@artist373: You say you're using Suse? I don't know about Suse specificially, but I do use linux (Debian), and I know of a video editor for linux called Openshot that has support for importing numbered image sequences. It makes creating video from multi-PNG renders infinitely less time-consuming. Just a tip.

• pencilart
    pencilart
    2011-12-31

@burginabc,
    I just checked in my repositories and it did not come up  :(  Guess I'll have to see if I can request over in the forums for it to be packaged. I'm not so good at trying to install from source. It's all the dependencies that give me trouble.
    I've been using Gimp to put together all the images but it's a lot, especially if I put in a watermark!
    This was put together in Gimp: http://www.storm-artists.net/full/96125

I've never installed a JMF on Linux before because I'm not so sure I understand the instructions (there seems to be more to it than just install it).

Hey guys! I have a question about installing AOI 2.9.1 beta: I have 2.9 installed with the shortcut on my desktop. When I install the beta version into its own folder, it seems that it takes over that (2.9 stable) short cut and then I have to re-install 2.9 again to get that shortcut back, even though the 2.9.1 beta version is in a different folder.
    Right now, I changed my shortcut to 2.9 like this:

java -jar /home/<username>/ArtOfIllusion29/ArtOfIllusion.jar

• so I hope that this problem won't happen when I try out another beta.
      Before, it was something like:

java -jar /home/ArtOfIllusion/ArtOfIllusion.jar

I also have 2.8.1 installed and installing the 2.9.1 beta version did not seem to mess with that one's shortcut.
    Let me know if I got the right idea. It's such a pain to have to keep re-installing the one I want to keep around.

• BURGINABC
    BURGINABC
    2011-12-31

@artist373: I didn't actually have to 'install' JMF, I just directed the AOI installer to the .zip archive when it prompted me to. That's all you have to do. Of course, with 2.9.1 no longer using JMF, the point is moot…

• BURGINABC
    BURGINABC
    2011-12-31

Dang, this forum doesn't allow post editing, sorry about the double post. About your shortcut issue, Linux desktop shortcuts can be edited in a text editor. They are text files containing data such as what Icon to use, what text to display under the icon, and of course what command to execute. So, even if it says "art of illusion" under the icon, the filename is actually aoi.desktop. Probably when you installed 2.9.1 it overwrote your other copy of aoi.desktop. A solution would be to rename one of them to aoi29.desktop, and then the two could coexist.

• Peter Eastman
    Peter Eastman
    2012-01-01

I've updated the Windows and Linux installers to change how they handle JOGL.  It will hopefully work correctly now on both 32 and 64 bit OSes, but I've only tested on 32 bit, so if you can try a 64 bit OS, please let me know whether it works.  JOGL is still an optional part of the install, but it's now selected by default.

Peter

• Harald G
    Harald G
    2012-01-01

Happy new Year Peter and all!

I installed the latest version and also tried to switch of Windows UAC (which requires a reboot) - but nothing helps.
    I still stuck at Step 7 and can't forward to step 8 - so I have to kill the installation window.

Now for Jogl - first the ususal one:
    Starting with the  Art of Illusion.exe provided with 2.9.1. beta The Jogl option is greyed out.
    Exchanging it with the Art of Illusion.exe provided with AoI 2.8.1 it works.
    I assume this is 32 bit Jogl.

I tried to get my 64 (JAVA) bit to work by using a batch file to start AoI:

java -Xmx3072m -Djava.library.path=C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin;lib -cp ArtOfIllusion.jar;jogl.jar; artofillusion.ModellingApp

AoI starts, - but JOGL is greyed out and I ask myself: How should AoI know which Jogl to use?
    I need to tell it to "it" somehow, or not?

Error creating GLCanvasDrawer: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: F:\3d\AOI\ArtOfIl
    lusion291beta\lib\jogl.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

So where is the link from? How can I change it to F:\3d\AOI\ArtOfIllusion291beta\lib64\…

Btw:

ModellingApp is deprecated.  Use artofillusion.ArtOfIllusion.main() instead.

I tried that

artofillusion.ArtOfIllusion.main()

in the batch file, but AoI didn't start.

Harald

• pencilart
    pencilart
    2012-01-01

@burginabc
    I don't know if I should start a new topic on this or not, but I'm running KDE as my desktop environment and they have been using "Plasma". When I install AOI, there is a start icon that gets put there, but I also place a 2nd one on the "regular" part of the desktop area (the part that is not in the "Plasma" area) and that one too had been taken over by the Beta version. 

I did find the aoi.desktop file as you said and I've renamed it and it seems to want to point to /home/<username>/ArtOfIllusion/aoi.sh . So, I'm hoping that when I install the 2.9.1 beta, that it won't take that over, like you said.  We'll see, next time I install another beta.

• Peter Eastman
    Peter Eastman
    2012-01-01

Once again, the broken library handling on Windows thwarts my efforts.  I hoped that if I installed both 32 and 64 bit versions of the libraries and included both in the library path, that would work.  But it looks like it spots the 32 bit library first, determines it can't load it, and then just stops looking.  Sigh.  I'll switch to having two different options for 32 and 64 bit libraries (as it was before on Linux) and ask the user to install only one of them.  Which means both of them really should be unselected by default.  Sigh.

I have an idea of what might be causing the installer to hang.  One of the last things it does is execute a batch file that tells the OS to associate .aoi files with the application.  I suspect that is trying to display a window asking the user to authorize it, but somehow failing to actually display it and instead just hanging.  I could, of course, just not run the batch file.  But then file associations won't be set up correctly.  Do any Windows users have suggestions for other ways to deal with that?

Peter

• Harald G
    Harald G
    2012-01-01

Usually (whatever usually means) an average windows user should be able to create the file association by hand afterwards.
    What I would like to see instead is file masking in the file dialogs! (*.aoi when I try to open a file or *.obj if I like to import and so on).

Regarding the 64 bit and 32 bit - if I understand right I could choose in the installer to install the 32 bit or the 64 bit one?
    Seems to be a solution. Is there an easy way to check and tell the user which Java is already installed?
    Something like: "The installer has found a 64 bit OS, but a 32 bit  Java - it is recommended to choose 32 bit AoI installation…"

Of course this would make things more complicated.

• Peter Eastman
    Peter Eastman
    2012-01-02

Ok, new versions of the Windows and Linux installers posted.  Now they have separate options for 32 and 64 bit JOGL libraries.  I've also changed the Windows installer to not run the batch file mentioned earlier.

Peter

• Harald G
    Harald G
    2012-01-02

Just downloaded and installed.
    No change except JOGL is an option.
    I don't see a 32 or 64 bit choice?

The installer still hangs at step 7 - so the batch file is maybe not the reason for hanging there.

Harald

• Harald G
    Harald G
    2012-01-02

And JOGL is still not availbale by using a batch file or the provided *.exe.
    With the old *.exe it works still fine Jogl enabled.
    Could it be, that the old exe invoke the 32 bit Jav/Jogl and the new on or the new ArtofIIlusion.jar try to invoke the 32 bit Jogl on a 64 bit platform (so they try or "see" my 64 bit Java before the other?)

Harald

• Peter Eastman
    Peter Eastman
    2012-01-02

I don't see a 32 or 64 bit choice?

Then you're still running the old installer.  Perhaps it was cached somewhere?  The newest installers have two separate options for 32 and 64 bit libraries.

Peter

• Harald G
    Harald G
    2012-01-02

Yes Peter, it looks like a caching issue. I still get the "old" one.
    I suggest you rename them to 2.9.1 beta2 maybe?
    I know it's not the preferred way since editing post is not an option here.

Harald

• Nathan Ryan
    Nathan Ryan
    2012-01-03

So how do I clear my cache?  I've tried rebooting, clearing the computer temp files, clearing the firefox cache……..
    I using win 64-bit

• Harald G
    Harald G
    2012-01-03

I still get the (first?) one 8.401.208 Bytes large.
    Without renaming (or hashvalues?9 we can't be sure to have the latest version.
    So I guess my odd experience with the last 2 versions is due to that, maybe?

Harald

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)