Peter Eastman
    2008-06-21

The beta of AoI 2.6.1 is now available:

http://www.artofillusion.org/ArtOfIllusion261beta-Mac.dmg
    http://www.artofillusion.org/ArtOfIllusion261beta-Windows.exe
    http://www.artofillusion.org/ArtOfIllusion261beta-Linux.zip
    http://www.artofillusion.org/aoi261beta.zip
    http://www.artofillusion.org/aoisrc261beta.zip

This is really more of a release candidate than a beta.  It contains only a small number of bug fixes since 2.6.  I don't expect any of them to have introduced problems, but give it a try and let me know.

By the way, I'll be away and probably out of contact for the next two weeks.  So if I don't reply right away, it doesn't necessarily mean I've been eaten by a yak.

Peter

• OniOid
      OniOid
      2008-06-21

Do you have an emergency number we can reach you at? ;)

Thanks for the RC. Enjoy yak-country.

Rich

• TroY
      TroY
      2008-06-22

Thanks for this release.

It looks like the clipping bug is finally gone - great! :)

Greetings,
      TroY

• >it doesn't necessarily mean I've been eaten by a yak

We certainly would not think of something like that happening: yaks are herbivore. Tigers, on the other hand, aren't. And they happen to live in about the same areas, broadly speaking. Just to make sure: you've upgraded to Leopard, haven't you?

François.

• Peter Eastman
      Peter Eastman
      2008-06-22

> Just to make sure: you've upgraded to Leopard, haven't you?

I have.  But leopards are carnivores too, so that won't necessarily help.

> Do you have an emergency number we can reach you at? ;)

Just turn on the Bat Signal.  I probably won't see it, but it might distract the carnivorous yaks so they don't notice me.

Peter

• OniOid
        OniOid
        2008-06-22

I think we could all use that 2 weeks. ;D

Robin

• John_S
      John_S
      2008-07-10

I just upgraded, but can't understand a behavior I'm seeing with 2.6.1.

Viewing a window set to "Camera" is no longer semi-WYSIWYG. It used to be if you zoomed in or out, tilted and rotated, the camera view would change and it would be roughly the same as the rendered image.

Right now the only way to see the camera view is through Preview. This is okay, but I don't see the camera view window setting being nearly as useful as it once was.

• Pete
      Pete
      2008-07-10

Hi John.

I suppose you have loaded all the plugins too? I maybe mistaken, but my guess is that the camera window is not where you expect it to be. The Mechanisto-plugin (or I think it the Mechanisto plugin) changes the order of the windows.

I disabled the Mechanisto (in Plugin Preferences) and things ar back to normal... (Probably some good features might be available there, but I did not yet look if there were more options there than to switch it off.)

• Hmmm, good point. I might change the preferences for the all the Window-view plugins to be disabled by default.

Users can then enable the one they want.

Cheers!
      Nik

• Ok, sorted.

(My apologies to Cecelia (the author) for having done this arbitrarily without having discussed it first, but it's important to avoid too many surprises for users.

Mechanisto script is now at version 0.3 :o)

I found that Francois had already made a similar change to the ViewLayout plugin.

It seems this is something that should be done for every script or plugin which rearranges the views.

Cheers,
      Nik

• Ok, sorted.

(My apologies to Cecelia (the author) for having done this arbitrarily without having discussed it first, but it's important to avoid too many surprises for users.)

Mechanisto script is now at version 0.3 :o)

I found that Francois had already made a similar change to the ViewLayout plugin.

It seems this is something that should be done for every script or plugin which rearranges the views.

Cheers,
      Nik

• John_S
      John_S
      2008-07-10

I did try setting a couple of windows to camera1 before mentioning it. However, I have updated and the conventions from 2.5 are back.

I'm getting quite a few "Red Alert" states. Array - no event. Boolean -- no event.

Extrude gives the following...

Created Two curves. Extruding Curve 1 by 2 (I think) gives the following error...

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in SearchlistClassLoader.findResource() (SearchlistClassLoader.java:429)
         findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for help/LogPlugin.hs

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in SearchlistClassLoader.findResource() (SearchlistClassLoader.java:439)
         found help/LogPlugin.hs in loader: java.net.URLClassLoader@1603522

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in HelpPlugin.register() (HelpPlugin.java:903)
         registering Docking.Score

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in HelpPlugin.register() (HelpPlugin.java:918)
         component= buoyx.docking.DockableWidget$DockableWidgetPanel

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in HelpPlugin.register() (HelpPlugin.java:929)
         Mapped ID=Docking.Score

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in HelpPlugin.register() (HelpPlugin.java:903)
         registering Docking.Objects

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in HelpPlugin.register() (HelpPlugin.java:918)

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in HelpPlugin.register() (HelpPlugin.java:929)
         Mapped ID=Docking.Objects

registering Docking.Properties

Mapped ID=Docking.Properties

registering LayoutWindow

component= buoy.widget.BFrame$BFrameComponent

Mapped ID=LayoutWindow

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.<init>() (RenderPreview.java:171)
         RenderPreview: could not get render thread for: java.lang.Object

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in ImageCanvas.setCanvas() (ImageCanvas.java:290)
         setCanvas: scale=Infinity

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in AnimatePreview.<init>() (AnimatePreview.java:227)
         AnimatePreview: win=artofillusion.LayoutWindow@1a791f

registering DockablePreview

Mapped ID=DockablePreview

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in OneFixSizesAll.getChildBounds() (OneFixSizesAll.java:288)
         bounds=java.awt.Rectangle[x=0,y=0,width=1152,height=864]; size=[F@a60191; child=java.awt.Rectangle[x=0,y=0,width=1160,height=872]

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in PreferencesPlugin.getPreferences() (PreferencesPlugin.java:119)
         PrefPlugin: getting prefs: viewlayout

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in SearchlistClassLoader.findResource() (SearchlistClassLoader.java:429)
         findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for preferences.properties

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in SearchlistClassLoader.findResource() (SearchlistClassLoader.java:439)
         found preferences.properties in loader: java.net.URLClassLoader@1697023

2:27:21 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in PreferencesPlugin.getPreferences() (PreferencesPlugin.java:154)
         PrefPlugin: getting persistent prefs: viewlayout

2:27:22 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in SearchlistClassLoader.findResource() (SearchlistClassLoader.java:429)
         findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for viewlayout.properties

2:27:22 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in SearchlistClassLoader.findResource() (SearchlistClassLoader.java:439)
         found viewlayout.properties in loader: java.net.URLClassLoader@1697023

2:27:22 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in SearchlistClassLoader.findResource() (SearchlistClassLoader.java:429)
         findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for viewlayout_en.properties

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for viewlayout_en_US.properties

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for buoy/widget/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for buoy/widget/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for buoy/widget/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for buoy/widget/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for buoy/event/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for buoy/event/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for buoy/event/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for buoy/event/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/ui/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/ui/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/ui/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/ui/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/texture/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/texture/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/texture/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/texture/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/object/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/object/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/object/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/object/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/math/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/math/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/math/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/math/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/material/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/material/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/material/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/material/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/image/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/image/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/image/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/image/PluginRegistry.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for buoy/widget/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for buoy/widget/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for buoy/widget/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for buoy/widget/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for buoy/event/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for buoy/event/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for buoy/event/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for buoy/event/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/ui/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/ui/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/ui/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/ui/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/texture/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/texture/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/texture/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/texture/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/object/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/object/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/object/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/object/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/math/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/math/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/math/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/math/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/material/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/material/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/material/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/material/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/image/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/image/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/image/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/image/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/Boolean.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/Boolean.java

2:27:22 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in PreferencesPlugin.getPreferences() (PreferencesPlugin.java:119)
         PrefPlugin: getting prefs: Mechanisto-1

2:27:22 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in PreferencesPlugin.getPreferences() (PreferencesPlugin.java:154)
         PrefPlugin: getting persistent prefs: Mechanisto-1

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for System.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for System.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for System.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for System.java

2:27:22 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0() (Unknown source)
         Mechanisto inited? true

2:27:22 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in PreferencesPlugin.getPreferences() (PreferencesPlugin.java:119)
         PrefPlugin: getting prefs: Mechanisto-1

2:27:22 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0() (Unknown source)
         Mechanisto on? false

2:30:18 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:30:31 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:30:40 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in SearchlistClassLoader.findResource() (SearchlistClassLoader.java:429)
         findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for buoy/widget/LayoutWindow.java

2:30:40 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in SearchlistClassLoader.findResource() (SearchlistClassLoader.java:429)
         findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for buoy/widget/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for buoy/widget/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for buoy/widget/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for buoy/event/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for buoy/event/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for buoy/event/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for buoy/event/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/ui/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/ui/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/ui/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/ui/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/texture/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/texture/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/texture/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/texture/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/object/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/object/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/object/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/object/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/math/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/math/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/math/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/math/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/material/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/material/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/material/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/material/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@12a416a for artofillusion/image/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@1de6817 for artofillusion/image/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@d5276a for artofillusion/image/LayoutWindow.java

findResource: looking in artofillusion.util.SearchlistClassLoader@17ebe66 for artofillusion/image/LayoutWindow.java

2:30:40 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:30:44 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:30:44 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

refresh...

2:30:51 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:30:52 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:30:52 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:00 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:01 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:03 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:03 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

refresh...

2:31:06 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:07 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:07 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:08 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:09 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:09 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

refresh...

2:31:11 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:13 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:13 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:14 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

java.lang.NullPointerException
          at artofillusion.tools.ExtrudeDialog.makeObject(ExtrudeDialog.java:228)
          at artofillusion.tools.ExtrudeDialog.stateChanged(ExtrudeDialog.java:143)
          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
          at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
          at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
          at buoy.internal.EventLinkRecord.dispatchEvent(EventLinkRecord.java:83)
          at buoy.event.EventSource.dispatchEvent(EventSource.java:140)
          at buoy.widget.Widget.dispatchEvent(Widget.java:326)
          at buoy.widget.BComboBox$1.actionPerformed(BComboBox.java:40)
          at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireActionEvent(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedItem(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$1.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Dialog$3.run(Unknown Source)
          at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
          at java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Unknown Source)
          at buoy.widget.Widget.setVisible(Widget.java:156)
          at buoy.widget.WindowWidget.setVisible(WindowWidget.java:168)
          at artofillusion.tools.ExtrudeDialog.<init>(ExtrudeDialog.java:136)
          at artofillusion.tools.ExtrudeTool.commandSelected(ExtrudeTool.java:48)
          at artofillusion.LayoutWindow.modellingToolCommand(LayoutWindow.java:1439)
          at buoy.internal.EventLinkRecord.dispatchEvent(EventLinkRecord.java:81)
          at buoy.widget.Widget.dispatchEvent(Widget.java:326)
          at buoy.widget.BMenuItem$1.actionPerformed(BMenuItem.java:93)
          at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
          at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
          at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
      2:31:36 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in LogPlugin$3.run() (LogPlugin.java:303)
         flashing...

2:31:36 PM EDT [Thread-11] in WidgetFlasher$3.run() (WidgetFlasher.java:121)
         WidgetFlasher.worker: busy=false

2:31:36 PM EDT [Thread-11] in WidgetFlasher$3.run() (WidgetFlasher.java:136)
         WidgetFlasher: list.size=1; back.length=1

2:31:52 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in RenderPreview.refresh() (RenderPreview.java:512)
         refresh...

2:31:57 PM EDT [AWT-EventQueue-0] in WidgetFlasher.reset() (WidgetFlasher.java:268)
         WidgetFlasher: reset. on=true

=================================end===============================

Also I got an Alert when experimenting with Preview. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but it involves selecting areas within the preview window.

I'm still not sure what the function of these selected areas are. The "drawn" selection rectangles can be grabbed, and doing so the color seems to shift. However, while this gets the Alert flashing fairly well, I'm not sure what it does.

I'm sure it's a case of "then just don't do that." But maybe this interaction does (is supposed to do) something in the Preview window?

• Just a point regarding alerts:

Logging information can be large, and it's not easy for a non-programmer to find the particular bit which is important. However long posts containing lots of information which doesn't pertain to the actual problem are difficult for developers to read, and make the whole thread difficult to read for everyone.

The LogPlugin was updated prior to 2.6.1, and now provides a convenient way to see information specific to an alert.

When an alert is raised, clicking the "Alert!" menu item should open the Alert view immediately. If you choose not to view the alert when it is raised, then you can view alerts at any time by selecting "Tools | Logging... | View Alerts".

Alerts are viewed from most recent (highest sequence number) to earliest (lowest sequence number). Each alert is summarised into 10 lines of stack trace information. This is much easier to cut-n-paste into a forum post, and keeps the posts smaller and easier to read for everyone. The alert viewer also allows you to enter your own comments for any particular alert, which is handy for documenting what you were doing - or trying to do - when the alert was raised.

Note that these alert summaries (and their comments) are stored on disk as soon as they are detected, so you can safely ignore them for an entire modelling session, and then restart AOI at some later time and review the alerts you've managed to create recently.

Also note that the system tries to consolidate alerts into unique reports. This means that if you generate exactly the same alert 100 times, there should only be one report of it in the viewer.

This is the first step in an automated reporting system. Once we're happy that the detection, sorting and storing system is working well, we can look at allowing AOI to submit these for you. This is one reason the alerts are consolidated. We need to reduce the reporting traffic so that each problem is only reported once, regardless of how many times it occurs.

My apologies for not having announced this earlier - when Peter released 2.6.1 it was a really busy week for me, and I overlooked telling everyone about the new logging features.

In summary, could people try post the alert report information whenever possible?

Cheers!
      Nik

• Regarding the preview viewer:

*chuckle*, I can see that discovering that feature could be surprising. :o)

The "areas" in the PreviewPlugin view are called "loupes", and their purpose is to view an enlarged part of (zoom into) the image. At the moment, I haven't allowed the PreviewPlugin to render at a resolution greater than the display resolution, so there is actually nothing to zoom. The reason the feature is there at already is that the PreviewPlugin (intentionally) reuses the viewer used by the AR plugin, where the fearure is already put to use.

If you have AR installed, then you can view the help on Loupes by selecting:
      "Help | Art Of Illusion Help | AdvancedRendering | Loupes".

As for the exception, I can't help without a bit more detail. However, I will shortly be releasing an updated PreviewPlugin with a couple of possible alerts fixed, so hopefully yours is one of those.

Cheers!
      Nik

• One last point:

I have been made aware of a couple of GUI issues with both the LogPlugin and the PreviewPlugin on MacOSX.

Initial attempts to debug this remotely have not succeeded, so I have resurected a Mac Cube we had lying around and plan to work on both over this coming weekend.

I think my version of OSX only has Java 1.4, but that should be sufficient for debugging these plugins. I will also look around to see if we have an OSX update lying around.

So if you are on OSX, please be patient a little longer, but hopefully we will get your issues solved.

Cheers!
      Nik

• John_S
      John_S
      2008-07-11

>>When an alert is raised, clicking the "Alert!" menu item should open the Alert view immediately.

If you mean a bright red Alert menu item appears, and by clicking it you get a pop up window -- that's what I did. And that's what I posted.

• From your earlier posting:

> java.lang.NullPointerException
      > at artofillusion.tools.ExtrudeDialog.makeObject(ExtrudeDialog.java:228)

I thought I recognised this, but it took me a while to sort it out.

In summary, it's caused by the order in which you've selected your curves for extruding. Select them in the opposite order, and it will probably work.

Longer explanation:
      When open the extrude dialog, AOI populates the pull-down lists of curves from the currently selected curves.

The top pull-down is no problem (the one which selects the curve to extrude) - you can select whichever curve you want.

However, if you click on the "path" radio button, then the Extrude dialog tries to make a sample extrusion to display. To do this, it uses the first curve in the pull-down. So if you've selected your closed curve (the curve to be extruded) *first*, and the path curve *second*, the the extrude dialog will attempt to extrude the closed curve (the curve you probably selected in the top pull-down) along the closed curve - and the result is the exception.

However, if you change the order in which you select the curves and retry the extrude operation it will work. Now, the top pull-down dfaults to your path curve (the one you selected first), so you change it to the curve you want to extrude. Now you click the "path" radio button and the attempt to build the preview works.

It's a bit involved and needs to be reported as a bug, but there's the workaround for the moment.

Cheers!
      Nik

• > that's what I did. And that's what I posted.
      Which presumably means that you still have the older version of the LogPlugin.

In my post, I was saying that if you update to the newer version (1.41b3), then it should provide the improved alert reports.

Cheers!
      Nik

• One point on the loupes in the PreviewPlugin:

The way I worded my previous post, I made it sound like zoom in the loupes doesn't do anything. This is not actually true - if you scroll the mouse wheel or use page-up/page-down in an active loupe, the loupe will certainly zoom.

The point I was trying to make is that since the PreviewPlugin renders at its display size, zooming in by any amount shows only interpolated values, and not increasing detail.

In contrast, if you use AR to render an 800x600 render, and view it in the default 400x300 monitor, then you can zoom in 2:1 on that data before you start seeing interpolated values.

So when I add a control to increase the render (as opposed to the display size) of the PreviewPlugin, then you would be able to zoom into real extra detail not just interpolated data. ... And you would also be able to undock the PreviewPlugin and view the entire preview in a larger window.

Cheers!
      Nik

• John_S
      John_S
      2008-07-30

Here's something new. I often import models and use AoI to simplify the mesh. An imported .OBJ gives the following on Simplify Selection...

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 14
          at artofillusion.TriMeshSimplifier.buildDataStructures(TriMeshSimplifier.java:385)
          at artofillusion.TriMeshSimplifier.<init>(TriMeshSimplifier.java:107)
          at artofillusion.TriMeshEditorWindow.simplifyCommand(TriMeshEditorWindow.java:1530)
          at buoy.internal.EventLinkRecord.dispatchEvent(EventLinkRecord.java:83)

Changing the selection to a smaller part of the model doesn't help. Changing the MaxSurface setting doesn't help.

• Peter Eastman
      Peter Eastman
      2008-08-01

Could you post or send me the .obj file?

Peter