Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

new CSGEvaluator plugin

2009-01-27
2013-06-05
  • I have loaded a new CSGEvaluator plugin into the repository.

This plugin was written and donated by the RepRap project:

( http://www.reprap.org ) -thanks guys!

There is a thread on the FS forums which discusses the plugin a bit,

http://www.friendlyskies.net/aoiforum/viewtopic.php?pid=15199#p15199

and the rest I guess you just find out by using it :o)

Cheers!
    Nik

• Ed Kolis
      Ed Kolis
      2009-01-27

Oh, sweet, someone implemented the old "boolean tree" or "multi-booleans" concept or whatever I called it way back when! :D Funny that I'd happen to come back to the AoI site today and find this out... ;)

• Peter Eastman
      Peter Eastman
      2009-01-27

That looks excellent!  I really need to make booleans faster.  Maybe I can do some of that in 2.7.1.

Peter

• > Maybe I can do some of that in 2.7.1

Hehe, it's starting to add up already :o)

... You asked us to remind you of your intention to look at improving the performance of rendering control meshes in  EditorWindows with OpenGL... :o)

Cheers!
      Nik

• Harald G
      Harald G
      2009-01-28

... You asked us to remind you of your intention to look at improving the performance of rendering control meshes in EditorWindows with OpenGL... :o)

2nd!  

But faster booleans sounding also promising.
      I tried the CSGEvaluator and on my pc it´s rather slow with nested booleans. It eates up the ram and hogs on the cpu. Thats is one of the reasons why I try to avoid booleans. 

But for the RepRap project they are needed as much as air for breathing I guess.

Harald

• John B.
      John B.
      2009-01-28

> It eates up the ram and hogs on the cpu.
      > Thats is one of the reasons why I try to avoid booleans.

I don't understand why hogging ram or CPU would happen except perhaps while calculating the final mesh.  Does it do it while the mesh is idle?

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but from the description this sounds like an improved approach to booleaning many objects with eachother.  I like the sound of that. :)  Although, I would most certainly change the name to something meaningful to people who don't care as much about how it was implemented "under the hood" ;)

- John